Problem when calling SpriteBatch.End()

Started by
4 comments, last by Trip99 14 years, 7 months ago
When I run my program I receive this error when it gets to the line kernel.spriteBatch.End(); NullReferenceException was unhandled: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. The only thing that this suggests to me is that I should check that kernel.spriteBatch isn't null but when I mouse over it, it appears to be a perfectly legitimate instance of SpriteBatch.

protected override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
        {
            GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.CornflowerBlue);

kernel.spriteBatch.Begin();
            if (overlay)
            {
                grey_out.Begin();
                foreach (EffectPass pass in grey_out.CurrentTechnique.Passes)
                {
                    pass.Begin();
                    kernel.current_state.draw();
                    pass.End();
                }
                grey_out.End();
                draw_overlay();
            }
            else
            {
                kernel.current_state.draw();
            }
            kernel.spriteBatch.End();

base.Draw(gameTime);
        }

Advertisement
You sure error happens at that line? Check if kernel isn't null, and kernel.spritebatch isn't null
As far as I can tell that is the line and nothing is null, there is a member in spritebatch that's null but I'm not not sure if that's abnormal. Here's a picture

Photobucket

and the kernel is basically a structure that I want to hold my important stuff in

public struct Game_Kernel{    public SpriteBatch spriteBatch;    public ContentManager content;    public Game_State current_state;    public GraphicsDeviceManager graphics;}
How do you instantiate kernal and the references in the stucture?
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Here is all the code that starts everything. If nothing else I have to admit I've probably used some poor conventions, I start almost everything in the game's constructor and the Initialize and LoadContent methods are mostly empty.

public struct Game_Kernel    {        public SpriteBatch spriteBatch;        public ContentManager content;        public Game_State current_state;        public GraphicsDeviceManager graphics;    }    public class Game1 : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game    {        Game_Kernel kernel;        Effect grey_out;        bool overlay;        int overlay_index;        delegate void Draw_Overlay();        Draw_Overlay draw_overlay;        delegate void Update_Overlay(KeyboardState keyboard_state);        Update_Overlay update_overlay;        KeyboardState old_keyboard_state;        Dictionary<string, Texture2D> overlay_elements;        public Game1()        {            kernel = new Game_Kernel();            Content.RootDirectory = "Content";            kernel.graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this);            kernel.graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = 640;            kernel.graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = 480;            kernel.graphics.IsFullScreen = false;            kernel.graphics.ApplyChanges();            Window.Title = "Game";            kernel.content = Content;            kernel.spriteBatch = new SpriteBatch(GraphicsDevice);            kernel.current_state = new Title(kernel);            draw_overlay = new Draw_Overlay(draw_title);            update_overlay = new Update_Overlay(update_title);            old_keyboard_state = Keyboard.GetState();            overlay = true;            overlay_index = 0;            overlay_elements = new Dictionary<string,Texture2D>();            overlay_elements.Add("title_start", kernel.content.Load<Texture2D>("Textures/Buttons/title_start"));            overlay_elements.Add("title_start_highlight", kernel.content.Load<Texture2D>("Textures/Buttons/title_start_highlight"));            overlay_elements.Add("title_quit", kernel.content.Load<Texture2D>("Textures/Buttons/title_quit"));            overlay_elements.Add("title_quit_highlight", kernel.content.Load<Texture2D>("Textures/Buttons/title_quit_highlight"));            overlay_elements.Add("title_back", kernel.content.Load<Texture2D>("Textures/Buttons/title_back"));        }        protected void to_title()        {            draw_overlay = new Draw_Overlay(draw_title);            update_overlay = new Update_Overlay(update_title);        }        protected override void Initialize()        {            grey_out = kernel.content.Load<Effect>("Grey_Out");            grey_out.CurrentTechnique = grey_out.Techniques["Grey_Out"];            base.Initialize();        }        protected override void LoadContent()        {                    }        protected override void UnloadContent()        {        }
You should put all the loading in the LoadContent function as the graphics device will not be created / valid in the Game constructor. So put the spriteBatch creation and texture loading in LoadContent and see what happens
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement