Is this freedom?

Started by
3 comments, last by Dynamite 22 years, 9 months ago
I''m making an RPG and I''m looking to give the player freedom to do as he/she wishes in the game, but I''m adding a "story" element to drive the game. Ultimately, war/conquest is what drives the game world. I have a group out to dominate and establish their own "way of life." You can choose to take action against the villains or sit back and take their treatment or even go on the run and try to make a living in the wild. You HAVE to make a decision though. Another thing, you HAVE to eat to stay alive, so weather you choose to fight or not, you still have to live. I think I am FORCING an action, but really, what other actions are there in this situation? (if there are some, PLEASE let me know) The NPC''s are available to trade/gain information or you can ask them to help your cause, whatever it is. This way, there is a common goal/conflict, not to mention whatever else will exist between cities/people. The world will be random and NPC''s will have friends/enemies and maybe even their own struggles. Am I giving freedom to the player? --I don''t judge, I just observe Stuck in the Bush''s, Florida
--I don't judge, I just observeStuck in the Bush's, Florida
Advertisement
Well, you''re forcing action, but let''s be real, life is full of choices and they have one too... fight or die.

Most choices aren''t fair, they''re simply choices.
If you can pull off that kind of involvement in your game, then it is wonderful! The level of choice you are describing is as close as a game can reasonably be expected to come and still be a game. Any more freedom and it ceases being a game and becomes a simulation.

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
I think that's plenty of freedom. Actually I think the best freedom in a game is when you can use various actions in different ways to achieve your goal. That's sort of how Thief was. Plus, if you allow the freedom of what to do when these villans attack then that's even better

As for another action, you could allow the player to take the villans' side and try to destroy the town or world or whatever

Edited by - Nazrix on July 18, 2001 12:44:14 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Nazrix

As for another action, you could allow the player to take the villans'' side and try to destroy the town or world or whatever

Edited by - Nazrix on July 18, 2001 12:44:14 PM

Hahaha, I actually forgot to throw this in the post, but that is an option as well!

Thanks for the responses everyone!

--I don''t judge, I just observe
Stuck in the Bush''s, Florida
--I don't judge, I just observeStuck in the Bush's, Florida

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement