PhysX on an ATI card?

Started by
5 comments, last by Makaan 14 years, 7 months ago
Just wondering here, but will NVidia's PhysX work on an ATI card without the acceleration? If not what is a good royalty-free engine to use? Bullet? Thanks.

Robert');DROP TABLE users;--

Advertisement
Yes, if it's not accelerated, it's done on the CPU, so it doesn't matter what card you have.
There have been also experiments that show that PhysX can be run on ATI cards. I don't knwo how far are thy gone with that, or if this can be actually used in a product. You might be interested though.
Thanks. Cool. Few more questions. Is PhysX really the best choice? Also how do you make it unaccelerated?

Quote:Original post by Solovus
Thanks. Cool. Few more questions. Is PhysX really the best choice? Also how do you make it unaccelerated?

Whether or not its the best choice is up to you. Bullet has been coming a long way and has been starting to get a lot better. Its open source if that is important to you.

To make it run unaccelerated you just have to give it the proper flag. But you should try with the NX_SIMULATION_HW flag first in case they do have a physics hardware card.

NxScene *Scene;NxSceneDesc sceneDesc;sceneDesc.simType = NX_SIMULATION_HW;Scene = PhysicsSDK->createScene(sceneDesc)if (!Scene){     sceneDesc.simType = NX_SIMULATION_SW;      PhysicsSDK->createScene(sceneDesc);}

Code might be wrong as I use Bullet.

Quote:Original post by jtagge75
Quote:Original post by Solovus

Whether or not its the best choice is up to you. Bullet has been coming a long way and has been starting to get a lot better. Its open source if that is important to you.

Code might be wrong as I use Bullet.

Being open source is not important, but I would like to tweak with it, so I shall use bullet... Yup. Thanks guys.

Hello,

I found out that Havok physics are implemented in OpenCL , so it will work with acceleration on Nvidia as well as ATI. OpenCl is a standard which allows you to write programs for the video card. This information is really fresh for me , but i believe that havok is the only one of its kind at the moment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement