Need a simple 3d framework to test my algoirthms

Started by
2 comments, last by egNuKe 14 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I am working on several AI algorithms and I to test them I need to create a demo app. I have basic knowledge of 3d programing (not my field of interest). What I hope to find is a programing framework that allows me to add some objects and move (some of them) around. ideally, it would also offer camera controls as well give me access to the mouse click location in 3d. Of course, I'll write all the logic. I'd really appreciate it if anybody would point me to such a thing.
Advertisement
Take a look at the Panda 3D engine. Easy to use, usable with both Python and C++, comes with several tools to import/export models and such.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
I would suggest Ogre3d.
If you go through the tutorials you can easily get what you want.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ogre_Tutorials
I dream hard of helping people.
Thank you for replying.

In the last few hours I toyed around with irrlicht, Ogre3d, OpenSceneGraph and sexy app framework (by PopCap, used for 2d only as far as i know).
I can't say that those few hours were enough to make a throughout judgment, but I think that irrlicht is most suited for my needs.

Irrlicht comes with a demo that draws a 2d map, a 3d demo for collision detection, and a demo for mouse and gamepad control. As it stands, I believe I can use the first 2 demos as a stub and add my code inside them as appropriate; and I can find the necessary mouse and gamepad control codes from the third demo.

I am downloading Panda 3d right now and -hopefully- I'll give it a try.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement