Sign in to follow this  
WriterNick

Map making tools for the not so artistic

Hello, I'm trying to create some nice visual additions to a game design I'm working on. Now I'm kind of stuck at explaining in detail how the game world looks like: I have the entire world in my head, but I just can't explain it in such a way that I'm happy with it. Thus I thought, lets visualize it first so I don't have to describe it out of my head, but can see it. But, I have a problem. I'm not very artistic: stick figures anyone? So does anyone know a FREE tool set for creating nice looking maps for the not so artistic person? I would be grateful if you could inform me. Best regards and thank you.

That is right tremault, but I have the nasty problem that I have a too perfectionist mentality for that. Such raw draft I would tear apart in a thousand pieces. I want it to look good...It's strange, I know. I already did it perhaps twenty times...

i understand what you mean. I am also a perfectionist. that is why i stick to the things that i can do. for my concept pieces, I usually stick to side on or front on. 3/4 views or other angles are difficult for me so I just don't do them.
but if you need to get a concept across, then you need to draw it. then if you want it to look finished and nice, you ask somebody else to fix it ;)

with any type of map editors, it is likely that you will never get what is in your head anyway.

what you could do is take a look through google images and just piece stuff together like a montage.