Laptops != Good

Started by
2 comments, last by PsycoBlade 22 years, 9 months ago
Listen up all you Rage Pro users! DirectX 8 does not support the Rage Pro chipset! It says it on their website. So, the same problems Voodoo2 people have, Rage Pro people have. If, for some freakish reason, you NEED to have a laptop for game development, Sony makes a laptop with a S3 Savage 4, and Toshiba makes a laptop with a GeForce2 MX. Each with 32 megs of video memory. For all of you who need a reality check: My Pentium 200mhz MMX tower system with a PCI TNT2 at 640x480 runs Unreal Tournament 28 frames per second FASTER than my Pentium 3 550mhz laptop with a Rage Pro LT at 320x240.
Advertisement
And how about running UT in software rendering mode on your Laptop ? It seems that software rendering will be more faster and better in near 5-10 years ! Sorry for the offtopic but i just was''nt able to stop myself from posting it.
I was doing some testing with a TNT2 and tried running it with the wrong drivers. If there is no HAL device you get the zbuffer format error too, so basically you need to get proper DX8 drivers for your card if they exist.
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
The Del Inspiron 8000 also comes with a GeForce2 32 meg card =)

-Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement