Choosing the right path for my career?

Started by
18 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 7 months ago
Hi, Ok, so I don;t even know where to start so I'll give you some background so you can judge from that, in advance thank you. I'm 22 and I'm basically done with my associate degree. I'm working for a big bank in sales dept. and I can say I'm a successful in what Im doing but when i think about my future and knowing that i might do this for the rest of my life, im start to getting headaches. I'm at the point where i could still change my major (where at this moment is business) and i need a advice. People always tells me to do what ever you love to do so your life wont be miserable. Well, mine situation is little bit tricky-where I'm lost. Before going to work and living by my self I was doing a lot in the computer field. What I mean is that for couple good years ive been studying software like; CAD, PHOTOSHOP, ILLUSTRATOR, REVIT, and even MAYA. Besides that Ive been fixing computers, overclocking, building, you name it. On top of that before this i spent a lot of my childhood playing games where i actually after years i noticed many glitches that games have and i always thought about fixing them. always wish to create something so spectacular that nobody experience it ever before, well then fallout series came out and somebody stoled my dream-I'm probably confusing you guys already, but trust me it is really hard for me to express what i want to say- I DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR HELP? What im trying to say is that i wish to stay in this field but i really dont know what could i do with this. I dont want to be a programmist (c++), but something more into how things should look like or it should work. maybe the part of animation group or game development - what ever that means- i really dont know- who should i ask. should i go to school and talk to someone or what are the other alternatives? thank you so much for any opinions. Bart
Advertisement
Read these:
http://www.igda.org/breakingin/career_paths.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by xcaldk74
I'm at the point where i could still change my major (where at this moment is business) and i need advice.

And according to some of Sloper's other FAQ's, you don't really need to change your major - as long as you study some aspects of things like psychology, art, etc.

Or at least that's the way I know it. I'm not sure if I interpreted it wrong or something.
Apparently, there is already another "Dragon88" round these parts. Don't worry, it's just a coincidence.
Quote:Original post by sdkudrgn88
And according to some of Sloper's other FAQ's, you don't really need to change your major - as long as you study some aspects of things like psychology, art, etc.

I think Business would be a perfectly good degree to have. But the other things the OP should study (as electives) depends on what the OP chooses as his focus. "Psychology, art, etc." was a list I gave in my FAQ 3 for those who want to become game designers (a specific specialty in the game industry).

Tom
im not getting how business major will benefit what i really want to do. Unless what u meant was that after major have like a certificate. Because itt tech or westwood college( closest places where i live) specializes in game design major. Well im kind of scared that if ill invest money in that major it might be hard to find a job where with business major its all around. So its more being practical then going after your dreams. But after you said that i might finish bachelor inbusiness andstill go for games, my question is what are the right steps.?

Thanks in advance

bart
Bart,
Have you read those articles yet?
First step: read the articles.
Then we can talk more.

Tom
im not getting how business major will benefit what i really want to do. Unless what u meant was that after major have like a certificate. Because itt tech or westwood college( closest places where i live) specializes in game design major. Well im kind of scared that if ill invest money in that major it might be hard to find a job where with business major its all around. So its more being practical then going after your dreams. But after you said that i might finish bachelor inbusiness andstill go for games, my question is what are the right steps.?

Thanks in advance

bart

Your major doesn't doom you into a field, unless perhaps you go way too specific like you said. My dad graduated with a degree in biology and ended up working as a department boss at Colgate in a department that had NOTHING to do with biology.

Companies aren't just going to see "Oh hey a game programming degree!" and hire you, they're looking for a well rounded person who can get their job done. If you were a business major and you also met a companies standards for a programmer, that would look especially impressive to them because you're combining more than one discipline.

My advice:

1. Don't worry about your major so much, but do plan for the future ahead.

2. Having good writing and public speaking skills is a huge plus!

3. Build a portfolio while in school, be involved. Let me say that again, build a portfolio and be involved in school/community/club activities. If you do nothing else on your spare time, do yourself a favor and build yourself a knockout resume/portfolio that will *wow* potential employers.

4. Finally, definitely read Tom's articles!

Good luck!
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Bart,
Have you read those articles yet?
First step: read the articles.
Then we can talk more.

Tom,

I'm still in the process of reading your materials. "wow there is a lot of it"- i like it. I really think that this is the only place that holds all the good data in one place.-honestly. I will pm u after I'm done with the material.

Thank you for your time again and hopefully I will get more after.

Regards

Bart
Quote:Original post by Kalnos
Tom

Thanks in advance

bart

Your major doesn't doom you into a field, unless perhaps you go way too specific like you said. My dad graduated with a degree in biology and ended up working as a department boss at Colgate in a department that had NOTHING to do with biology.

Companies aren't just going to see "Oh hey a game programming degree!" and hire you, they're looking for a well rounded person who can get their job done. If you were a business major and you also met a companies standards for a programmer, that would look especially impressive to them because you're combining more than one discipline.

My advice:

1. Don't worry about your major so much, but do plan for the future ahead.

2. Having good writing and public speaking skills is a huge plus!

3. Build a portfolio while in school, be involved. Let me say that again, build a portfolio and be involved in school/community/club activities. If you do nothing else on your spare time, do yourself a favor and build yourself a knockout resume/portfolio that will *wow* potential employers.

4. Finally, definitely read Tom's articles!

Good luck!

Hey,

Thank for the reply in advance. I'm just curious what kind of a portfolio you are talking about?
A "portfolio" is a sample of your work. Depending on what kind of work you're good at and/or aspire to, the "kind of portfolio" can vary. Artists make an art portfolio; programmers make demos with source code; level designers make a level portfolio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement