Sign in to follow this  
Pete Michaud

Kotiro **Update**: new body sketches!

Update September 15th Body shots! I want her to be well-built, and athletic. These sketches don’t show it, but the final art will show significant muscle definition. body_front body_side body_angle
So, I've posted here a few times here on gamedev about [mostly] writing so far, but I'm beginning to produce art for my game as well. Here's some prelim visualizations for Kōtiro, a Māori girl in her early 20s, and the main character of my game: portrait_no_hair_straight portrait_no_hair_side Kōtiro Portrait v1, without hair For more information, see the source page: http://kotiro.petermichaud.com/visual/characters/kotiro/ [Edited by - Pete Michaud on September 15, 2009 7:49:45 PM]

Nice work, but to be honest with the chin ink and bald head it comes across a little androgynous. Maybe thin out the eyebrows a bit, play up her female features a little. I don't mean like in a sex kitten way, but enough that it draws attention from the chin ink so it doesnt come across as a overgrown soul patch on a bald guy.

Quote:
Original post by Pete Michaud
Haha, she'll have hair, this is just a prelim piece 8)

Preliminary art is just another way to say concept art. That you went to the degree of coloring the third image suggested to me that you are going in the direction of having a bald female character...at least in this early stage of the concept. Sorry for the confusion.

great work here. foir a simple head and shoulders shot you cn tell a lot already.
I'm quite interested in this project and i'll be happy to see more.

the thing about the maori face markings.. they scare me quite a bit. they seem very aggressive. the markings make me feel like the person want's to cut my belly open and eat my intestines. ^^; he he.

her eyes seem to offset that feeling though. so it's interesting in that respect. a certain duality.

Quote:
Original post by Konidias
The tattoo just looks like facial hair to me. I think you picked a bad place to put it. Even if she has full flowing hair, she's still gonna look like the bearded lady.

I didn't choose the placement. She's a Māori woman who has earned the honor of moko, and Māori women get moko on their chin and lips. Sometimes their shoulders and a little on their forehead if they are in the right region and are high enough status, but the chin placement isn't optional, it's part of the culture for like 800 years. Can't mess with that, hah.

Dig it:

And actually, to respond to the whole "eat my intestines" thing, it's not far off -- Māori warriors (who were sometimes women), routinely ate their fallen enemies to absorb their "mana." Hardcore.