optimal frame rate

Started by
6 comments, last by mmakrzem 14 years, 7 months ago
is there an optimal frame rate for an action game? I want to have everything to run smoothly and not take too much cpu power. Any advice on this?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by buggy123
is there an optimal frame rate for an action game?

The monitor refresh rate.
Depends, for first person games players want high frame rates, 100 or more. But if it's not first person then... as long as it looks OK.
30 is a good rule of thumb if you're going for high-end graphics, 60 for everything else.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Quote:Original post by tufflax
Depends, for first person games players want high frame rates, 100 or more. But if it's not first person then... as long as it looks OK.

100 is totally an overkill, most of the people wouldn't even notice higher than 60
taytay
Ideally your logic and rendering should be decoupled, and therefore running independent of one another. In this situation, you have two "frame rates": the logic rate and the graphics rate. What I suspect you mean is the graphics rate, but if you've decoupled logic and rendering, your graphics update is usually "as often as the computer we're running on is physically capable". VSync is best enabled in my opinion, although an option to disable it is probably a good idea.

In order to minimize CPU usage, as you mention that in particular, you would use a low logic rate. I use 30 as my logic rate, and it's plenty. Most console games seem to be using a logic rate of 30FPS so I imagine this also applies to more action-oriented games than my own.
Quote:Original post by shultays
Quote:Original post by tufflax

100 is totally an overkill, most of the people wouldn't even notice higher than 60

This is an interesting article.
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by buggy123
is there an optimal frame rate for an action game?

The monitor refresh rate.
That one. The simple reason is that if the monitor doesn't show it, there's no point rendering more frames. On the other hand, if you're slower than the refresh rate and vsync is on, your frame rate will drop to one half the sync rate, which will be very noticeable. So in fact, you will want to be a little faster than the actual refresh rate, and "throttle down" by having vsync enabled.
You should make sure that your physics calculations are able to run fast enough to be able to give you the results you need in a timely manner.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement