• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Imgelling

[DX9,Vista] lost due to display uniqueness change

This topic is 3295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I am trying to get back to using DirectX with C++ from C# with XNA. I am following the tutorials on Druinksoft and I am trying to implement the fullscreen swap in tutorial 3. Using the code from the website, when I try to go to fullscreen, it swaps resolution and then just sits there. No spinning triangle, just nothing. When I try to exit it, it won't exit. After using task manager to end the process, a error window pops up on the screen saying something about a heap overflow or a user pressed F12 (which I didnt). After fiddling around trying to get my resolution back to normal, I saw this error in the output window.. "Lost Device Due to Display Uniqueness Change" from the DirectX Debug spew. After searching around a bit, I come across this thread and it says something about having to use Vista's DX9 extensions. It also says, I will lose compatibility with XP if I use them, which I don't want. It does suggest checking WINVER before creating the device as an answer. Basically, that thread is a bit dated and was wondering if there is a way around this issue. I would also like to keep using the debug runtime has they are handy. Should I just not use fullscreen until I am done with my project? Any help/advice would be great! Thanks!

Advertisement
Well, I have decided I will just destroy the device and create a new one. Though I haven't tested it yet (at school now), it seems to be the simplest way to do things since I need to reset it anyways.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!