Sign in to follow this  
Imgelling

[DX9,Vista] lost due to display uniqueness change

So, I am trying to get back to using DirectX with C++ from C# with XNA. I am following the tutorials on Druinksoft and I am trying to implement the fullscreen swap in tutorial 3. Using the code from the website, when I try to go to fullscreen, it swaps resolution and then just sits there. No spinning triangle, just nothing. When I try to exit it, it won't exit. After using task manager to end the process, a error window pops up on the screen saying something about a heap overflow or a user pressed F12 (which I didnt). After fiddling around trying to get my resolution back to normal, I saw this error in the output window.. "Lost Device Due to Display Uniqueness Change" from the DirectX Debug spew. After searching around a bit, I come across this thread and it says something about having to use Vista's DX9 extensions. It also says, I will lose compatibility with XP if I use them, which I don't want. It does suggest checking WINVER before creating the device as an answer. Basically, that thread is a bit dated and was wondering if there is a way around this issue. I would also like to keep using the debug runtime has they are handy. Should I just not use fullscreen until I am done with my project? Any help/advice would be great! Thanks!

Well, I have decided I will just destroy the device and create a new one. Though I haven't tested it yet (at school now), it seems to be the simplest way to do things since I need to reset it anyways.