Sign in to follow this  
Aiwendil

Sharing XNA Games

Hi everyone, My friend made a game using XNA for a contest, but he isn't allowed to install anything on the judges' computers, so is there any way to give them the application without making an installer. We tried copying the release folder to another computer to see if that worked, but the application encountered an error and exited. The error has nothing to do with the programming (we tested it on the basic game code - the code that creates the window and is created when you create the project) and we still got the same error. Thanks

You probably need to have them install the .Net framework and the XNA redist. I know you said that they are unable to install anything on the judge's computers, but if they have DirectX installed, it should be only fair to have the XNA redist installed.

Of course life isn't fair, but I do personally believe that this is a reasonable request. Unless, the whole goal was to have you use some other language/API.

Edit: Honestly, I think the XNA redist should be part of Windows Update as a "recommended".

[Edited by - Imgelling on September 13, 2009 7:36:56 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Aiwendil
My friend made a game using XNA for a contest, but he isn't allowed to install anything on the judges' computers, so is there any way to give them the application without making an installer?

Do the contest specifications allow for XNA-based entries? If so, the judges will probably have all the necessary software and libraries to run your application.

As Imgelling mentioned, the reason your release build is likely crashing on the other machine is because of missing .NET or XNA redistribution files. Try and find out what's already on the judges' machines, and make sure they have what your application needs before submitting.