Tic Tac Toe - bleh, stuck.

Started by
12 comments, last by Last Hylian 14 years, 7 months ago
I feel a bit daft now. :/
Advertisement
But I thought the constructor was the way you initilized variables. If not in the constructor, then where? Just between the class brackets?
You are correct, the constructor is the correct place.

I will give an example that is simpler, because honestly I haven't used c style arrays in this fashion in a while.

class ClassName{  ClassName::ClassName (void);  int m_nVariable;}ClassName::ClassName (void){  m_nVariable = 12; //Correct way to initialize your variable belonging to ClassName.  int m_nVariable = 12; //Incorrect way to initialize your variable belonging to ClassName.}

In the case of "int m_nVariable = 12;" you are actually initializing a variable on the stack that is "hiding" your classes variable. This is a feature of the language, but usually incurs a warning letting you know that this is happening (depending on your warning settings).

You can still reference your class variable if you have a local variable hiding it, but you need to use your this->m_nVariable to do it. In some cases variable hiding is done by deriving. Base class A has a variable and derived class B has an identical named variable, so to get to the one in class A you scope it A::variable.

In this case you can just get rid of the new variable declaration and init your class variables. You can replace your code with the following and it should work:

#include "game.h"Game::Game(){	SquareOne[0] = 5;	SquareOne[1] = 217;	SquareOne[2] = 5;	SquareOne[3] = 147;	SquareTwo[0] = 244;	SquareTwo[1] = 455;	SquareTwo[2] = 5;	SquareTwo[3] = 147;... etc	running = true;}
// Full Sail graduate with a passion for games// This post in no way indicates my being awake when writing it
Doh, I knew that, but I suppose that's what you get when you copy and paste :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement