Sign in to follow this  
sdkudrgn88

How does software activation work?

I know this is probably a question that is very sensitive to most corporations, whose method is usually proprietary. But, I wanted to see for myself how (not exactly how, obviously, but a general idea of how) one usually creates a shareware registration program. I'm mainly interested in the method. I tried doing a Google search, but nothing really turned up. Could somebody point me to an article or something? It would be very much appreciated.

Quote:
Original post by sdkudrgn88
I know this is probably a question that is very sensitive to most corporations, whose method is usually proprietary.

But, I wanted to see for myself how (not exactly how, obviously, but a general idea of how) one usually creates a shareware registration program. I'm mainly interested in the method.

I tried doing a Google search, but nothing really turned up.

Could somebody point me to an article or something? It would be very much appreciated.

I don't have articles on the workings of activation systems, but a simple example might be having a list of valid serial numbers in a database along with a unique id (e.g a hash of certain hardware serial numbers)for the machine. When user enters the key they have to authenticate it with the database on your server. If the conditions you setup are met the server sends back an ok and the user is given full access otherwise they're stuck with the trial. Obviously this interaction would be encrypted. For example, if someone tried to activate the software on more than five machines the activation system could deny them or ask them deactivate a machine before allowing them to continue.

Theres a number of ways... some i've just thought of without any research...

Serial key activation -> compare an input value against a seed generator if it matches, then its registered.

Online activation -> connect to a server, give the entered value, have the server determine its ok or not.

Disc check -> Analyse the CD for intended flaws, if flaws dont exist, not an original.

i'm sure there's many more...