Sign in to follow this  
mgph

My path to become a game developer ?

Hi guys, I'm so glad that this is the place where our stupid and silly questions are always answered :D As my topic, I want to become a game developer (and also a little bit well rounded in other areas as well). To achieve it, I took a IT bachelor course at a mediocre university (is it if it's ranked somewhere around 10-12 according to the Australia Universities ranking website? or worse ? don't know). It's general computing major and so, the school barely touches on CG which make me very sad when I started to learn myself about OpenGL :( This is what I've learned so far: 1. Basic knowledge about computers and hardware 2. VB .NET and A+ 3. the bachelor in IT course (now in 2nd last semester) 3.1 C++(2 modules)/Java/Python/Shell 3.2 Web skills & Multimedia concepts and applcations 3.3 OSs and underlying concepts such as multi-tasking 3.4 Other stuff like networking, computing math 4. Sun Certified Java Programmer (I decided to take this one as self-study + school module encouraged me) 5. CG and OpenGL <<< hardest part and most confusing step for me In future -> 6. Learn from others as well as creating own games 7. Start my dream job (yay!) Well, sorry if this list doesn't make sense to you, but I've really no idea how to ask advice from you guys. Now I have reached step 5, where all the things become very hard and very confused for me. I've managed to finish the book "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming 2nd edition" (admit it's hard even to compile at first because no step-by-step instructions for how to setup for specific IDE, but well, finally I did it ! yayy!). And on half-way to finish the red-books (both red and orange). Still, couldn't catch the 3D concepts and the Math. What should I do ? Should I directly use premade game engines such as Torque or Ogre3d(I know this is graphics render only, but at least premade engine, right?) or should I have a little more patience in learning OpenGL path ? What I mean that cannot get the concept, is not saying I don't understand at all. I can understand codes, concepts and its structure as well as its framework how to create a virtual 3D world. But what I'm having problems is, it's not as clear as what I learned in programming skills. While learning the programming, I could catch its idea, how it flows and why so happen. For this graphics stuff, :( so hard to get its in-depth idea. Well, sorry for my very long words (because of my language barrier, please). In short, now I'm learning OpenGL and it seems hard to understand for me. Should I continue learning it with patience or should I directly create games using premade game/graphics engine ? Thanks in advance I forgot to mention that in past I achieved to create very simple games in console version :(

If you're having trouble with 3d math stuff, I'd recommend taking a class in linear algebra. Bonus points if you do your own graphics projects along the way to help illustrate the rather abstract instructions you'll get from a teacher.

Also, it will help you a lot to focus on doing simple games now, using what skills you already have. If you're not up to speed on 3D graphics, make tic-tac-toe, or a mario clone. Even a text adventure would give you good experience for future projects.