Sign in to follow this  
jtagge75

Stencil shadows and depth format

Can the *_LOCKABLE depth stencil formats be used for stencil shadows? I got a person with the Nvidia Quadro FX 370 who when has shadows enabled when only sees the screen get darker. Fairly sure this is the fullscreen quad that is rendered over the scene after shadows have been written to the stencil buffer. As I believe I can recreate the effect by turning off the stencil buffer after rendering shadows but before rendering the fullscreen quad. I've put checks on all the render state changes for shadows and nothing fails. The only thing that looks odd is the card picks D32F_LOCKABLE for the depth buffer whereas most other computers with more gaming oriented cards use D24S8. I even buried the *_LOCKABLE formats at the end of the list but the card still picks it. The shadows work fine on every other computer. Unfortunately this is on a work computer that I have no access to so any kind of debug tools are probably out of the the question. Any ideas why this card doesn't want to render the shadows?

I didn't know that about the LOCKABLE formats. I guess the guy hadn't used the new version with the formats rearranged so thats why it was still picking D32F_LOCKABLE. He won't be able to try it until tomorrow but I assume it will work when using a proper format. I am going to remove the LOCKABLE formats from my format list.

Thanks.