Sign in to follow this  
Azenris

Forward Delcarations

Hi, i know how to declare a basic class/struct but is it possible to somehow have what I have below.
// ===============================================================================
// FORWARD DECLARATIONS:
class CScreenManager::MOBILE;

// ===============================================================================
// FUNCTIONS:
bool test_dustbin_func_eo(CScreenManager::MOBILE *pMobile);
bool test_dustbin_func_so(CScreenManager::MOBILE *pMobile);

Is it possible to forward declare the CScreenManager::MOBILE struct? Im not sure how I would go about it, or whether I need to redesign it. Id rather not include the entire screen header into this header. TY for any help

Edit: My original reply was posted before I finished :D

If MOBILE is a class contained in a namespace, yes (http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/32118) but it seems like it is nested in a class, and in that case no, at least not directly.

Something I've done in this case, which may or may not suit your design needs, is as such:

namespace ScreenBlah
{
class Mobile
{
};

class ScreenManager
{
};
}

Then you can forward declare the Mobile class through the namespace as shown in the link above.

Namespaces are just a convenient way to separate 'logical units' of your program. They are often used to to give a broader sense of structure or unity among their constituents.

Here is a good link to read up on them :)

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/namespaces.html

Edit: Just so you know, if having the classes nested is a must for your design, I believe there is a way to forward declare the nested class using some template voodoo -- but I've only seen this in passing and couldn't explain it. Maybe someone else will able to do that. Personally, I rarely find myself needing a nested class versus wrapping classes together logically in namespaces, but I concede such cases exist.

since test_dustbin_func_eo and test_dustbin_func_so operate on a class declared inside of CScreenManager, should you put those functions inside CScreenManager also?

If not, does it make sense to move the class out side the CScreenManager class?

Just a few questions to ask yourself