Blender?

Started by
30 comments, last by MarkS 14 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Octamed

A few hints.
I HIGHLY recommend going straight to the preferences and setting 'left mouse button select' - The right mouse thing is utterly pointless and inefficient and has no doubt put thousands of people off immediately.
'B' starts marquee mode (also silly to not have it the default drag action )
Set 'open on mouse over' and set delays to smallest
You might want to bump up the manipulator size and hotspot range.

These are matters of personal taste. In my case, for example, the defaults work very well.

Niko Suni

Advertisement
Blender was really awkward at first but after getting used to it, its wodnderful. I strongly recommend leaving everything on defaults.

I even use blender liek controls in some of my own things now.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

2.5 isn't out, but the test builds from graphicall.org are fully usable (but be VERY wary of doing anything serious yet)

"These are matters of personal taste. In my case, for example, the defaults work very well."
sure, once you get used to anything it becomes comfortable. I love things being different if it enhances workflow and efficiency. Some things in blender are great and slick (like the modeless splitable gui is so good). But the right mouse/left mouse thing forces you to click twice for everything, it's not consistent (eg manipulation tools don't do it), it doesn't provide any useful function over using one button and it's a fundamental function that every program in world has used since the dawn of the mouse. It's the one thing that isn't just personal preference because it is undoubtedly slower and less efficient. I think it stemmed from when blender didn't have an undo, so it was a way to abort the move if you wanted too. No need now.

All I'm suggesting is two options
a) set the default to left. Any blender users can simply set it back.
b) or, on first boot have a selector dialog with defaults for every major modelling app. So have nice big icons for Blender/Max/Maya/XSI etc and set the appropriate configuration file to what is closest. There, EVERYONE is happy :) Imagine how many more people that would encourage to swap? Artists like what they know and are extremely reluctant to learn a new app that doesn't appear on the surface to be much better. Blender 2.5 is super configurable, so the keys, mouse, even menu layouts can be pretty damn close to any modeler. But really, just keys and mouse would do fine as the other menus were a snap to learn and logically laid out.
I don't agree with you on the left/right mouse button issue. Most people that have started modeling with Blender as their first program (effectively, most Blender users) are very comfortable with right-select, as it clearly separates "manipulation" from "selection". The foundation wants to cater to existing user base, since the developers are also existing users. That said, I think that the option to switch this behavior is very good, but I wouldn't change the default setting.

As for point B, I agree somewhat. I think that UI customization in Blender is going to be more prevalent after 2.5 because it allows very fast (as in fully dynamic) UI creation and testing. However, my opinion is that the UI customization work (to emulate other modelers) would flow better as a community project, rather than a Foundation one.

Niko Suni

Just posting to say yeah im really excited about blenders game maker.

Just think, you wont have to leave the same program to put models in your game.
Quote:Original post by Nik02
I don't agree with you on the left/right mouse button issue. Most people that have started modeling with Blender as their first program (effectively, most Blender users) are very comfortable with right-select, as it clearly separates "manipulation" from "selection". The foundation wants to cater to existing user base, since the developers are also existing users. That said, I think that the option to switch this behavior is very good, but I wouldn't change the default setting.

As for point B, I agree somewhat. I think that UI customization in Blender is going to be more prevalent after 2.5 because it allows very fast (as in fully dynamic) UI creation and testing. However, my opinion is that the UI customization work (to emulate other modelers) would flow better as a community project, rather than a Foundation one.

Sure, fair points. I don't mind the defaults, but the main concern I have is people assume the defaults are it. The on load config selector would be very little work and would totally remove any confusion and misunderstanding. I for one never gave blender a chance because of this (at the time there was no option for it). Now that I'm testing 2.5 and setting the preferences to my own liking I like it a lot. I hope with a one time config selector other people will have a very smooth transition. You never know, some might even swap to blenders config and like it better :)

The default install is the only thing that matters in the long run. Having other nice configs won't do any good because people would have given up before even bothering to look for them (or even knowing it's possible). We're talking a very minimal amount of work, basically a key/mouse config file. Even making the preferences/configs files dialog pop up on load would be great. No need to make a custom funky looking version (although it would be nice ;) )
So really, it's all about personal preference and the understanding that everyone has their own and no amount of convincing will change their mind (clearly ;) )
Customizable keys etc. are a major new feature of Blender 2.5.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Quote:Original post by Nanoha
Blender was really awkward at first but after getting used to it, its wodnderful. I strongly recommend leaving everything on defaults.

I even use blender liek controls in some of my own things now.

Very awkward and somehow strangely habit forming. After less than 12 hours of using Blender I want to click and drag with my middle button now. Frustrating...
Blender is cool,but it isn't for newbies.
You can see some tutorials on youtube.I suggest you try Panda3d.
Blender could be brilliant. Just a few tweaks is all it needs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement