Volumetric Fog Article done, check it out

Started by
8 comments, last by Phillip Schuster 24 years, 8 months ago
Sorry, I forget to give you the url:
www.voodoospotlight.com/devknowledge

Phillip

Phillip Schuster
Advertisement
I downloaded your example and it ran perfectly, really smooth. I bet there's a lot of effects you could produce with that method, maybe squish and stretch the spheroid to make the fog linger, or move the spheroid to make the fog float around. I also wondered why it's a sphere instead of a box, but no need to answer.

DarrenNix

I'v download your example, and:
1) Since my S3 ViRGE has only 2mb, i don't have any textures (that's normal thing), but i see a fog sphere, and it looks ugly and with many bugs (maybe that's ViRGE problem, but i'm sure not)
2) PR gets really sucks in software, polygons that must intersect with fog sphere, looks like flat shaded red polygons.
3) is there any way to run example at 320x240 so i'll be able to see textures?

But.. if other people tells it looks good, i gotta belive it looks good. Anyway, that's a
interesting idea and i'll gotta look in sources.
BTW: in article you tell you have looked at other sources about volumetric fog. Where they was from and where i can get them to take a look?

FlyFire/CodeX
http://codexorg.webjump.com

P.S. for what you have skins in textures dir (rat.pcx, for exam.) if there is no 3d models?

Hi Darren !!

You can do a lot with this algo. Well, why a sphere, because it's easy to set up a scene with this, it looks great and calculating intersection is very easy.
As said in the article, you could even use 3D Meshes, and then you could create any effect you want (Volumetric Lights) or 3D Clouds and so on.

Phillip

Phillip Schuster
Hi Flyfire !!

Well, a S3 Virge is not the 3D Card modern graphics are done for. Perhaps the S3 Virge has problems with alpha blending because that's used. Just check out the screenshots of the article, do you think that looks ugly, well that's what it's looking on 3DFX or Riva TNT. So, it's your S3 Virge. You can buy a RivaTNT for a few dollars now, so run to your distributor and buy one, I really recommend that !!

I wanted this article as fast out as I could. As you can imagine it makes A LOT of work to do something like that. So, I used the textures for testing purposes, and I simply forgot to remove them.

Phillip

Phillip Schuster
Hi Phillip,
I have some problems with your demo. When I start it, the driver selection appears. But when I press Start, nothing happens. I just quits without any message. The .log files are all empty! I have already tried all drivers. Always the same problem! I have a TNT!

ciao...
...jens

Hi,
Thanks for an awesome article and sharing what you know of the subject. IMHO you've done a great job going through the theory... to have source code and an exe example is "icing on the cake". I have a monster fusion card and the demo works great and even if it didn't work for me, the theory is invaluable.
Look forward to more articles!!!
-jb

Hi Jens !

Well, this sounds as you did not select Direct3D HAL in the second ListBox. You will need to select Primary Display Driver in the first and Direct3D HAL in the second.
If you did that, please post another message. I will then try to put in a lot more Debug-Messages and send you the new executable, that will hopefully help finding out what's going wrong with you.

And to all people here:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH on your feedback. That's motivating. I got so much positive feedback, I never expected that. I am looking forward writing my next article.
Perhaps you can post a few ideas, what you always wanted to know.
The next stuff I wanted to do is Lightmapping with Power Render, cause I need that for my next game. But, this could take another 2 weeks, cause it's quite hard stuff. In the meantime I will perhaps write an article about Real Time Level Of Detail Rendering. This algo is nearly finished and this should make it quite easy to do the article.

Perhaps I also try to do another example which uses another object than a sphere, for example 3D Meshes for Volumetric Fogging, that'll be great.

Thank you very much.

Phillip

By the way : If you do any improvements to my example, please Mail me, I am very interested in seeing that.

Phillip Schuster
Hi all !!

Today I finished my article : Volumetric Fog with Power Render.

You will find:
- 64 KB HTML explaining every detail
- an executable demo
- Full Source-Code

I hope this helps.

Mail me, if you have comments or questions !

Phillip.Schuster@munich.netsurf.de

Phillip Schuster

Phillip Schuster
BTW don't bother spending time on lightmapping. I have an example done that will load in a regular textured object and apply lightmaps to it with moving lights.

Wait for the next beta and you'll see it.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement