Sign in to follow this  
veyronfei

How to create broken glass

Hi, all I am quite new to game programming. Can anyone give me some ideas about how to create broken glasses. I load a picture which is a window from disk, and I present it in front of user, then user can click on it. the glass starting crashing, at the first few click, I just want to show user a few fissure. then after saying 3 click, the whole window crash. I want to display the animation for fissuring and smashing. But I got few questions about it: 1. What shold I do with it? 2. How to create that animation? 3. Do I need OPENGL?

typically you would add decals to the mesh object or just swap out the texture when you "hit" the glass. Once you are ready to shatter it, you would swap out the rectangle mesh with a mesh that is all broken up and have the physics engine take over and have the pieces fall to the ground. Lucasarts has developed a system the dynamically shatters objects based on their properties. Really cool stuff but difficult to do if you are just starting out.

do a search on youtube for lucasarts Digital Molecular Matters and you'll find video's on their technology

Quote:
Original post by mmakrzem
typically you would add decals to the mesh object or just swap out the texture when you "hit" the glass. Once you are ready to shatter it, you would swap out the rectangle mesh with a mesh that is all broken up and have the physics engine take over and have the pieces fall to the ground. Lucasarts has developed a system the dynamically shatters objects based on their properties. Really cool stuff but difficult to do if you are just starting out.

do a search on youtube for lucasarts Digital Molecular Matters and you'll find video's on their technology

I am not sure I need this complicated stuff. coz I only want to simulate a simple animation for fissuring, as real as possible.

But still thanks for your post.