• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GKW

[java] MS to eliminate Java from XP

This topic is 6298 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ZDNet article The hardcore java fanatics at Javalobby seem to think this is the best thing that could happen to java as everyone will be required to dl a plugin java2 jre. The trolls over at slashdot seem to think this is step 2 in the inevitable destruction of java via C#. I personally think it will depend on how good the first realse of C# actually turns out to be. If it is crap ms will have one hell of a hole to dig itself out of. The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster. --EM Cioran Opere Citato

Advertisement
I wouldn''t worry too much about MS getting rid of the JRE. For one, most people access Java through the web and if the site is properly setup, the user will be prompted to download the plug-in.

Also, with the release of WebStart, even Java Applications will detect the JRE and update/replace if necessary.

It will however be interesting to see how C# does in the market.

borngamer

I see this as a blessing, we can finally start using Java2 on the web with the plugin. M$''s VM was sorly lagging behind in terms of support for the past 2-3 years.

It was fast, but incomplete.

C''m on C# is a new name for "Network Exploit". They could not even make their Scripting languages secure (VB) over the net let alone binary''s like activex and those.

I''m just waiting for someone to write a trojan that goes around and deletes XP''s keyfile from as many servers at it can. Can you just imagine the outrage when nobody can use their computer because Symatec''s .net component was exploited and deleted their key file.

The possibilities are limitless.

If you read the back end of the ZDNet article it mentions that Java is now considered a security risk on par with word macro''s and activex scripts. I have never known anyone who have had a Java virus or even heard of anyone who knew someone who got one. It''s a wonder these guys can talk with a straight face.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

Well, I''ve heard of ONE java virus... It had an interesting distribution technology. Ironically, it was only successful because of how j++ packaged .class files in .cab files, rather than .jar files.

I''ve seen a Java virus as well. It pops up a dialog box saying,

''Do you want to full grant access to the program: "Java Virus"?''

yeah right...

C++ is dying in business development so its either C# or Java - at least in the business world. Both have good advantages, IMHO. I think people often under estimate MS. They may be evil (especially lately) but a great deal of their software is really pretty good. They know they have a lot riding on C# and they also know they have a lot of programmers are dying to get away from the dated idiosyncrasies of MFC. I''m betting C# will be pretty good.

However, UNIX is not going anywhere. NT is no where close to the raw power and stability of UNIX and this is where Java will continue to thrive. Hopefully it can maintain a strong presence on NT as well. Personally, while most of the time you do not port your code I do like keeping my platform doors open, so to speak.

Sieggy

Well said, that man.

UNIX isn''t going anywhere, but that''s only for now... I personally don''t think that proprietary UNIX systems will last that much longer (at least I don''t think people will buy them anymore, they''ll still be out there as legacy systems)

Especially these days with those cool Unisys ES7000 servers (32-way Intel machines) they give you comparable performance to most UNIX systems at a very small fraction of the cost. And because they''re Intel, you''re free to choose between OEMs for your hardware and support (DEC, HP, Compac and a few others have already signed up to retail ES7000 systems). Plus they''re easily upgradable. They already support IA64 processors (you can even mix-and-match IA32 and IA64 processors in one box!).

These systems run Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, HP/UX and one other OS (which I can''t remember) so not only can you choose your OEM, but you can also choose your OS. The days of proprietary UNIX systems are numbered!

Anyway, I''m not sure what this has to do with the lack of Java in XP, just a general rant

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.

UNIX is only continuing to flourish. Most people don''t even realize that Apple has switched to BSD services for OS X. The entire FreeBSD posts collection now runs ( unmoddified ) under mac OS X. Oh, but wait, many third world countries are turning to the free UNIX clones to prevent an ever widining technology gap, they can run a linux or BSD varient without licencing hedaches on several year old systems an still get decent perfomance.

Many leading vendors recognise the power and performace of these free UNIX varients. Many vendors that have their own UNIX even are supporting free UNIX.

And even if w2k datacenter was the most stable windows out there it still does not campare to the stability and support of UNIX. And remeber that UNIX can do more with less harware and fewer admins. And if you don''t believe me do a survey of how many windows admins would run a busy mail server and a web server on the same computer... that''s what I thought.

C# will be another huge embarisment to M$ in terms of product relability. It will further push windows down into a security nightmare that only contimues to get worse with every new technology that microsoft produces. And locking java code out of Outlook was just petty and stupid, just as blue mtn cards did Sun should sue for locking out their technology as spam.

windows xp and internet explorer 6 will still be able to download and install M$ JVM 1.1.4 POS so I double that this will affect anyone, I just hope that many people opt for the plugin, as it''s a better long term solution.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!