• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sean123

Multi-Resolution Meshes

This topic is 6156 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote: "Multi-Resolution Meshes" "New technology is on its way that will reduce a high-polygon count model according to the speed of your computer. This type of software will assess how fast your computer is and adapt the resolution of the meshes accordingly." Whats this about? It really got my attention. Does anyone here know anything about it and if so when would it be available? Just Curious Thanks.

Advertisement
Where''s the quote from?

DirectX 8 actually has support for multiresolution meshes built in, check out the D3D8 and D3DX8 docs that come with the SDK for more information. Most of the commercial engines currently in production have or will soon have builtin support for similar types of multiresolution meshing.

Hugues Hoppe at Microsoft is one of the top researchers in this area, you can find some useful information on his home page at http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/

Yes PR has multiresolution meshes. I actually wrote my own routines based on some of the algorithms found on the net, since PR doesn''t load in .X meshes.

quote:
Original post by ChrisE
Yes PR has multiresolution meshes. I actually wrote my own routines based on some of the algorithms found on the net, since PR doesn''t load in .X meshes.

Cool,
Boy, was I behind?

Well thanks alot then

Guest Anonymous Poster

When dealing with multi-resolution meshes, do we have to make multiple copies of a model, each with different number of polys and the computer will load the correct one according to computer''s stats? or are the polys scaled down automatically?

Same with Dynamic LOD when it comes to Meshes. Are the polys scaled down automatically?

Power Render has both methods. Progressive meshes can show the object using any number of triangles. Switching models is also built in and is useful for trees that turn into billboard objects far away.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!