• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Beholder

D3D book suggestion

This topic is 6236 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in suggestions of which book I should buy about Direct3D-programming. I have basic knowledge about the rest of the DirectX components so I am not interested in a book covering these areas, though it may not hurt if it just covers them briefly. As a last question I would like your opinion of which API is the best, Direct3D or OpenGL? (A detailed answer with pros and cons of the API:s will be appreciated!)

Advertisement
I bought "teach yourself DirectX 7 in 24 hours" a while back for it''s sections on D3D. It does a fairly good job of giving you the basics, but you''re probably gonna be using D3D 8, which is very different from 7, I don''t know any books for 8 though. If you''ve already learned DirectDraw, then you could probably learn D3D from tutorials on the internet, since by learning DDraw, you learn how Microsoft set the SDK up and things like that.

quote:
Original post by The Beholder
As a last question I would like your opinion of which API is the best, Direct3D or OpenGL? (A detailed answer with pros and cons of the API:s will be appreciated!)

Oh man, this is a huge topic of debate. Personally I prefer Direct3D. I''ll try to give you some pros and cons of each.
Direct3D
Pros:
1) Supported pretty well on just about all video cards
2) With 8 out now, easy to set up quickly
3) Pretty fast

cons:
1) Can only be used in a windows environment

OpenGL
Pros:
1) Very easy to use
2) Very fast when supported well
3) Multi-platform

Cons:
1) Not supported very well on all cards

I''m sure there''s plenty more, but that''s all I can think of right now.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka

The only book I know of out right now that is decent (decent, not great, but decent) is Beginning Direct 3d. I would recommend starting with http://www.drunkenhyena.com or nexe.gamedev.net. Both are pretty basic, but even before you do that, check out the 6 tutorials in the SDK. The Beginning Direct 3d also uses Microsoft''s Common files. I''m not sure of the total impact of using the common files whether it slows your program down or not, but it makes things alot easier at first because you dont have to write everything. Check out the SDK and the two websites and see what you come up with. I need to find a few more tuts on loading .x files and changing their format, and the book mentions this, but not enough. Anyway, hope this gets you started.

Dave

There are three kinds of people in this world: Those who can count, and those who cant.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!