OpenGL book suggestion

Started by
8 comments, last by The Beholder 22 years, 9 months ago
I feel that I am ready to start programming 3d and I would like to know which OpenGL book is the best to start out with? I have heard that "OpenGL Game Programming" is good and that "The Red Book" and "The Blue Book" are good too, though I wonder if these are good to start with? "The OpenGL SuperBible" has had good critics too. To my knowledge "The Blue Book" is nothing but a reference (but a quite complete one). Lastly, I would like you to write about some pros and cons for both Direct3D and OpenGL. /Thanks
Advertisement
Red book, blue book, and Superbible = great. Blue book is only a reference book, but that is a good thing on those days you forget the variables to glTransform() or the flags you can use in glBegin(). Use a combination of the red book and superbible to learn opengl.

I''m not going to touch on pros and cons of Direct3D and OpenGL because

a) I don''t want to start a flamewar
b) I haven''t really used Direct3D, while I have used OpenGL
c) You seem to want to use OpenGL anyways, so why bother?

-Blackstream

Will you, won''t you, will you, won''t you, won''t you take my virus?

-The Mad Hacker

Blackstream''s Webpage
-Blackstream Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you take my virus?-The Mad HackerBlackstream's Webpage
Welcome to the message board, im sure you''ve noticed the search button to the upper-right hand side of your screen. Trust me - the archives are HUGE and you can find at least 5 massive threads debating the pros & cons of each of the api''s you mentioned. Try there first before trying to start another annoying discussion concerning the subject.

"You are just as irritating to me as an irrational term that accidentially creeps into your equation and cannot be factorized out."
If you were going to get one book on openGL - I would get the Red Book (The OpenGL Programming Guide). There are a lot of good game programming books out there - just look around and read the reviews.

I myself don''t do too much game programming, just OpenGL stuff. In my collection I have:

SGI''s OpenGL Global Education::OpenGL textbooks (From the OpenGL course I took with SGI)
The OpenGL Programmers guide (The Red Book)
The OpenGL Reference Manual (The Blue Book)
OpenGL Programming for the X windows System (The Green Book)
The OpenGL SuperBible.
OpenGeometry: OpenGL + Advanced Geometry

Plus many C, C++, and Java books. I program on the X windows/Motif platform most of the time for work. But once you find the platform that you are working with (Windoes, Linix, Mac) pick up a good book on programming for that system. It will help out tremendiously!

Roach
i have red book, going to buy blue (when money comes) but don''t know for SuperBible. Is it worth of money if i have Red book already?
No - probibly not. The Superbible is good - but the Red book is much better!

Roach
Yes, the SuperBible is worth it. I have both books, and where one fails, the other one supports it. For example, the SuperBible has a much better explanation on using OpenGL with the WinAPI than the Red Book, but the Red Book has a better section on Blending. The Red Book in general explains subjects better, but the SuperBible has a section on how to make shadows. So, I''d get both. They closely parallel each other, but they are both worth it.

-Blackstream

-The Mad Hacker

Blackstream''s Webpage
-Blackstream Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you take my virus?-The Mad HackerBlackstream's Webpage
OpenGL Game Programming covers more than the Superbible does. We made sure of that.

The Red Book is good as a reference on how to do something, but I don''t see it of value for someone starting out.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote:Original post by Khawk
OpenGL Game Programming covers more than the Superbible does. We made sure of that.

The Red Book is good as a reference on how to do something, but I don''t see it of value for someone starting out.

Kevin

I used it starting out (Okay, so I used the superbible first, up to about chapter 5, then I used the red book), it was pretty good.

I''m going to have to get your book now, Khawk. I''ve heard too much about your book (plus Nehe contributed a lot), and I''ll have to add it to my collection. You''re evil, wasting my money!!!

-Blackstream

-The Mad Hacker

Blackstream''s Webpage
I have bought:

- Opengl SuperBible Second Edition
- OpenGL Game Programming

and found them bought very useful and well done.

Bye

glHorizon_Project

www.web-discovery.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement