• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gf11speed

Slow Code! Major problem, plz help!

This topic is 6228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have nearly completed my first major game, which I have been working on for 6 months now. However, throught the game''s development, I neglected to test it on another machine. Well today I tested it on two other machines and it was dirt slow! Definately not playable! So I come to ask for help... what exactly is making my code run so slow, and what could I do in my code to make my game run faster? My system specs: 700Mhz,640MB RAM,Voodoo3 Test system specs: 800Mhz,128MB RAM, GeForce2 MX 450Mhz,64MB RAM, cheap/unknown video card It doesn''t make sense that it would run slower on the 800Mhz machine than it runs on the 400Mhz computer. Someone please help!!! I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Advertisement
Well I can tell you right now we''re gonna need more information than that. What language did you use? What graphics library? Is the game 3D or 2D? You might want to run some performance models of your program to determine the problematic areas and then maybe post the code for those sections. We can''t just magically help you... you have to help us help you.

From the information you have given, the only thing I can tell you is you possibly need more RAM to run it or a better video card, or a combination of both. Without seeing your code this is the best i can tell you.

"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."

The thing is, I tried the program on those same computers again, but this time, doing nothing in the code except calculating the FPS, and it was still terrible. That''s what I don''t understand... why it is going slow, even if nothing is happening.

The thing is, I tried the program on those same computers again, but this time, doing nothing in the code except calculating the FPS, and it was still terrible. That''s what I don''t understand... why it is going slow, even if nothing is happening.

We need to know:

1)programming language
2)Graphics API
3)type of game
4)Operating system/drivers on each machine

plus, check that you have compiled a release, optimised version of your binary for the other machines, that all the files required are there (sounds silly, I know, but I''ve done it before) and that your framerate and timing routines are ok.

Well, if you''re using direct draw, I have run into the problem (C++ direct draw 5 developed on win NT) where code would be running too fast, and cause the game to lag on any non NT platform. It was causing too many Blit calls, and backing up. Making a max cap on the possible FPS helped.

Sounds to me like you might be using some routines which were designed to be used with 3dfx acceleration. If this is the case it would force emulation on non-3dfx hardware which could bring things to a crawl pretty quickly.

Seeya
Krippy

Well I am using C++/DirectX 8.. its a side scroller type game... and I am developing on Windows 2000, while the other machines are running windows 98.

If anyone would contact me on ICQ to discuss this problem, I would be greatly appreciated. My ICQ # is 6792368. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!