Project to go to the Berlin Motor show

Started by
3 comments, last by Mr Cup 22 years, 9 months ago
Hey, I just got a project today in a team of 5 to build a multimedia presentation to go to the Berlin Motor show. Yeay! My uni is sending five car designs and we are getting a ten meter by ten meter open booth (no walls, showroom floor). We have to make an interactive presentation for 4 consoles (PC''s) and a looping film for projection on a three meter high screen. Because it is the Australian entry it has to have a distinctly "Oz-tralian" feel. (let me just say nothing shits me more then Uoolaroo, Kangaroos and Dijaridoos but if that''s what the client wants!) I thought some gameDev alumni out there my have a few cool ideas for interactivity. As for content at the moment we have all the technical drawings for the models and the models them selves. I have been told that there are computer 3D models as well, however, knowing industrial designers they will probobly be AutoCad and completely screwed. So far we are thinking about letting the user view the (CG) models rotate them, and by clicking on different parts they can open doors, turn on lights, wipers, pop the hood and see the engine. That or Quick time VR shots of the real models. I was just wondering if anyone had any fantazmo ideas? As Mr Cup always says, ''''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
Advertisement
It seems IE has completely screwed things up... A double post, first one with my name, then one as an AP... Does happen very often, but usually in a different order

Anyway, the post below is mine...

Edited by - Ronin_54 on July 19, 2001 7:13:33 PM
Well, seeing as you post on GameDev, I''ll give you the most logical anwser: make a game! :p

I think those cars will handle very differently on a road/track. So, create a very simple 3d-racer (no opponents, one track), and create some simplified models of the cars. But make sure to model the physics as best as you can. Then, allow the people to test-drive your cars for a few rounds
A couple of thoughts:

Can you do cut-away picts that are rotatable? It''d be cool to somehow be able to see the engine or internals as you rotated the car.

Swappable color schemes? The Saturn website did this nicely, with the ability to customize both interior and exterior. Very cool to see. You could extend this to swapping out options, like different wheel types, spoilers, tinted windows, etc.

Digitally composited backgrounds? Can I see my car with the Swiss Alps or Ayers Rock behind it?

You might also consider adding stuff like a GUI car trivia game for the hardcore buffs...

How about a multimedia slideshow showing the production of the car, from concept drawing board to manufacture to delivery?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Thanks for the thoughts,

Ronin_54, he he he I WISH! If I was to do something like that I would be doing it alone as the rest of the group are more graphic designers than game heads. I don''t think I could get it don''t to a high enough level by 13 weeks.

Wavinator,
"Can you do cut-away picts that are rotatable?"
Yes I can and I think I will, cool idea.

"Swappable colour schemes?"
This one was on the list already,

"different wheel types, spoilers, tinted windows, etc."
and now this one is too.

"Digitally composted backgrounds?"
We are working on putting the CG cars in to real footage if this doesn''t get up then defiantly stills.

"You might also consider adding stuff like a GUI car trivia game"
Considering the models are concept cars which haven''t been made yet this is a bit hard but a question and answer style way of conveying information could work, ie. How much do you think a car like this would weigh?

"How about a slideshow showing the production of the car, from concept drawing board to manufacture to delivery?"
Again hard as they don''t exist but I like the idea of having images of the cars being used by "real people" taking the kids to school, doing the shopping.

Thanks guys good stuff.

As Mr Cup always says,
''''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement