• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real Arcade Games

This topic is 6039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to live from the earnings of games sold online by realarcade? What is your experience? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
If your game is one of their top sellers I would imagine a single coder could live from it yes. I sell a game through them and it does quite nicely, but not enough to live on sadly. However they do have a lot of games on there selling lots more than mine

http://www.positech.co.uk

If you download RealArcade their main Game Page has a "top sellers" list. I''m not sure if they same info is on their web page (I think it''s not, actually). It goes a little something like this:

Diamond Mine (aka Bejeweled on the MS Gaming Zone)
Cue club
Kyondai Mahjongg
The Red Ace
Claw (???? I don''t believe it!)
Bingo Slots (AAAAeeeeii! Surely they''re pulling our legs?)
3D Ultra Pinball
Castrol Superbike
Pretty Good Solitaire
Snood (Bubble Pop clone?)

Thanx,

What do you mean by the way with "Claw (????
I don''t believe it!)" ?

You don''t believe the game is a hot download.
I noticed it''s a side scroller. What is the game quality, if you played?

And what do you meant with?

Bingo Slots (AAAAeeeeii! Surely they''re pulling our legs?)

Well, Claw is over two years old, it''s been on the bargain shelves for years... and now it''s one of RealGames top sellers? Maybe it''s just seeing a new audience that is snapping it up. It''s just kind of weird to me that an old game would be that high on the charts.

As for Bingo Slots... come on, who the hell plays those games?!!?

I like Claw...I always wanted to do a platform game....

AFAIK the relagames top sellers are based on conversion rate, not actual sales, so these games may sell more per demo downloaded, but not neccesarily the top sellers in terms of units.
puzzle games always have a high conversion rate, not sure why.

Thanks Cliffski for the info.
Sorry, but can you explain what conversion rates mean?

For a developer is the real units a game sells interesting.
Minus the game units that are returned in 30 days.

So it''s doubtfull if it''s possible to live from the earnings?

See article of bob wardell, PC gaming as an industry part 2.
at avault

So if you don''t get your game onto retail shelves you''re left with electronic distribution. Here''s the flat out numbers based on experience and talking to other publishers and developers. If you put your game on a download site, you can expect it to get about a 1% conversion rate -- downloads converted to an actual sale.

Try it for fun: Go find a game that displays how many downloads it''s received. Let''s say it got 100,000 downloads. That means the demo generated around 1,000 sales on that site. Sounds unbelievable? Probably but it''s true, ask any game developer.

That doesn''t mean that a title with only 100,000 downloads only sold 1,000 units. It means that those particular downloads only generated 1,000 sales. There are lots of other ways to increase your impressions, such as getting it into retail (which is the main way to sell lots of units). Get lots of publicity online, in game magazines and other magazines and that will increase the number of people who know of your product. But getting media coverage is tricky, getting your game on a download site is easy.

That quote is probably accurate for sites like download.com, but for a site like RealGames the conversion rates are higher, maybe 3% for a good game, possibly more for puzzle games. The main aim here is publicity. When I get a new demo listed on sites like Adrenaline Vault or 3DFiles my website hits go through the roof. Obviously you need a good game too! but one of your biggest problems as an indie developer is getting people to even hear about your game. That why (I keep saying it) Indie developers should stick together, exchange links etc etc.

In about how much units sells a strategy game or a puzzle game
on realarcade each month.

How much royalties do they take?

In about how much units sells a game published by realarcade each month.

How much % of the royalties do they take?

and some games like mine have a conversion rate of almost 0%, over 20000 downloads at download.com and more in many other sites and just 1 copy sold to someone who paid with someone else credit card...
Is my game so pathetic? Search for "punk" at download.com and it''s the only game with that name, but is it really so pathetic?

Guest Anonymous Poster
he roman arce what kind of game is it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is the game:

Punk game with the 3D glasses (red/blue) which is a first person shooter but with 235 different delirious monsters, 75 crazy punk unique dialogues, really a lot of very good puzzles with a very wide range of elements and most of everything a Punk style in every tiny part of the entire game."

98% who reviewed it said it''s a good game to play.

A first person shooter with 3D glasses (red n blue) but it can be played in monographic mode anyway, and it has 235 different monsters and lots of puzzles, I wasted 6 years and 3 monthes making it. The voting at download.com without cheating was 40%, I overvoted to change it to 98% :-), but those about 48 reviews we written buy others (I didn''t cheat in that).
Here is a screenshot but you need 3D glasses to watch it.

more screenshots

Well Roman Farce I dont mean to be mean, just trying to be constructive. First Your game needs blue and red glasses to play properly doesn''t it? Now I can only speak for myself and the people I know but not many people have them. Second the graphics look highly budget, like you spent 5 mins in MS Paint making them. The gun for instance in the screenshot looks highly basic.
I like how you can use 3d glasses but the whole game should not rely on that, it should have been an option.
If you are looking to sell a game to RealArcade I suggest going down to your local arcade or possibly even looking at old emulations as to see what sort of games will sell well on RealArcade. Arcade based games sell very well, so maybe come up with some twist on an original game and go with it. May I suggest you get some artist working for you(hard to find free ones that are good) or you keep practicing at drawing your own art . Just my 2 sence
-Jason Starr-

---------------
Freeze Software
---------------

"First Your game needs blue and red glasses to play properly doesn''t it?"

It has an option of playing in monographic mode with the key ''M'', but without colors :-).

"Now I can only speak for myself and the people I know but not many people have them. Second the graphics look highly budget, like you spent 5 mins in MS Paint making them. The gun for instance in the screenshot looks highly basic."

You mean 5 entire minutes? It was pen on paper with a scanner anyway, and it''s Punk! I wanted it to be original

"I like how you can use 3d glasses but the whole game should not rely on that, it should have been an option."

It is optional.

"If you are looking to sell a game to RealArcade I suggest going down to your local arcade or possibly even looking at old emulations as to see what sort of games will sell well on RealArcade."

Forget RealArcade, my game uses the word fuck in dialogues about a hundred times, when it starts I show the fingers, although it''s not just nasty stuff, it''s nasty stuff plus good ideas, but it''s not the kind of game that RealArcade would be interested.

"Arcade based games sell very well, so maybe come up with some twist on an original game and go with it. May I suggest you get some artist working for you(hard to find free ones that are good) or you keep practicing at drawing your own art."

I just gave up due to psychiatric problems, but I like my punk pathetically drawn graphics.

• Advertisement