• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LostLogic

What would you like to see in a DX book?

This topic is 6235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You probably know how us writers are, always looking for something to write about. So, I thought maybe it would be nice to see what people really want to read about for DX. Please tell me (and everyone else here.) i.e. How to play an AVI...etc..

Advertisement
I would like to see something about how the DirectGraphics works.
Specially minded for 2D graphics games.

-Vissing-

I'm assuming that you meant for a book--if not then 1 and 2 on the todo with would be nice.

First what I don't want to see:
1. C/C++ primer
2. Windows primer

Every single game programming book seems to waste about 1/3 of the book on those two topics.

What I do want to see:
1. Clear explanations of the linear algebra and trig AS THEY APPLY to 3d programming. None of the books I've read really are very clear. Explain how the view, world, and especially projection matrices work.

2. How to pick out what 3d object the mouse is over (I just spent about 10 hours doing that myself -- a real good tutorial would have been real nice)

3. Pixel and vertex shaders would be nice

4. Explain some of the stuff you can do with texture states and multitexturing.

5. A large scale program tutorial would be nice to demonstrate how to put it all together.

IOW I want something NOT aimed at the kid who just started programming 3 weeks ago and now wants a book to teach him how to write games.

Jack

Edited by - JackNathan on July 19, 2001 4:18:07 PM

That''s a tricky question. I happen to think that once you get to a certain point of competence, books aren''t really needed anymore. Everything that relates very specifically to DirectX is covered in adequate detail (in my opinion) in the SDK.

Hence, I think a book will have most success by either being a beginners tutorial (in the mould of Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus) or by covering an advanced engine technique which isn''t actually part of DirectX, but using DirectX.

For instance, I think a book on writing a portal engine for D3D would sell very well, or a book on landscape engines, something like that.

My suggestion isnt for DX directly, but I want to get a book on Terrain Engines using DX8. Its hard to find good and very indepth info on making them and a comparison of the different types.

Possibility

In my opinion, a book shouldn''t be focused on DirectX. Instead, it needs to teach you the basics, and then go on to teach advanced 3D concepts that don''t necessarily need anything beyond the basics of DirectX. Things like terrain, culling techniques, LOD algorithms, streaming maps, etc. This is because once you reach a certain level of understanding of any API, it''s much easier and more comprehensive to learn advanced topics like pixel and vertex shaders straight from the given API''s documentation. My thoughts are that if you aren''t able to take the documentation once you get to the point where you think you''re ready to learn about things like that, then maybe you should rethink whether or not you''re ready. Of course, I''m totally for learning the basics of advanced topics just to dick around with, it''s always good to have a bit of experience before you really understand what it is you''re experienced in.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!