What else to learn

Started by
2 comments, last by jpetrie 14 years, 6 months ago
Can you give me some names of topics/tags/keywords that It's good to know to make my games better and rich. Here is the the stuff I've gone trough so far, so I hope this will give you idea where I am with my skills and what is the stuff I must have a look at. Math: Geometry, trigonometry (pythagora, trigonometric functions and their extension in all quadrants, vectors(unit, distant, world vectors),sum,addition, dot and cross product, and basic integration and derivation to do: quaternions, matrix transformations Programming and code design: C/C++ (i'm not touching these anymore, except if boss says so), kinda OOP style, event driven systems, I do stuff in actionscript Physics: basic kinematics (velocity, acceleration, trajectory), circling(angular speed, angular acceleration, centripetal forces), kinetic and potential energy collision detection (basic box, circular, separate axis theorem) simple particle system (basic emitter and gravity affected particles) to do: ragdoll physics (probably I won't go into building my own, but it would be cool to know some implementation) Graphics: some OpenGL/DirectX (I don't have in plan to make any games with these APIs, since I got hooked with actionscript) sprite(keyframe) animation blending, transparency, color channels, alpha... and this pixel stuff Network: Pockets, latency, updates, concept of prediction(inter- and extrapolation), but this area is out of interest since I'm not planning to include multiplayer in my games AI: A* path searching algorithm to do: learn most common algorithms and the most important, implementation. I've just started with this and i'm lovin' it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by hardcoded1337
Can you give me some names of topics/tags/keywords that It's good to know to make my games better and rich.

It appears you have a firm handle on the programming/math side of game development, but in terms of making your games "better" and more "rich," what exactly do you mean? To me, making better and richer games means having thorough knowledge of game theory and being able to implement those theories into a meaningful and interactive experience. Knowing how to code your own physics engine, as a side example, is great, but having that engine doesn't automatically make a game fun.

What does "better" and "rich" mean to you?
"What does "better" and "rich" mean to you?"

I see it as implementing game ideas using established tools, techniques and algorithms.

For instance, some time ago I got an idea about adding some AI to my game, which finds a passable, many time shortest route, from point A to point B for player.It took me some time to build it.The algorithm gave me decent results but it wasn't so fast and good as established "tool" A* algorithm is. Well if I knew that A* is what I need, I wouldn't go building my own version, but rather taking A* and extending it.

So basically, I'm asking you to point me to the "established tools", before I reinvent the (bad) wheel again.
I think you're looking at this backwards. What actual problem do you need to solve in the actual game you're making? That will help us guide to you a solution that is both established and useful.

Having us list of whole bunch of "established solutions to problems" isn't going to help you much; it will just encourage rote memorization which won't help you apply the solutions correctly to any situation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement