• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bazaillion

Open Source Movement for Device Drivers, Your opinions???

This topic is 6150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had some thoughts and I was wondering what other's opinions would be on this. What I think is needed for competing OS's, Game OS's, Other Hardware Architectures, etc. Is an open source movement on Device Drivers and Hardware Specs of these devices. But more importantly something like a 'Device Driver Definition Language' (DDDL) to where its compiled on the fly when the OS is loaded the first time or the device is first installed. And any OS that had the run time interpreter/compiler could load it and use the device. Basically if you could get the whole device driver hurdle out of the way. Writing acompeteting OS's would be a much more realistic prospect. Just some thoughts. Edited by - bazaillion on July 19, 2001 10:03:58 PM Edited by - bazaillion on July 19, 2001 10:05:08 PM

Advertisement
Good idea, but each OS are different, so different systems need different drivers...

(But for the BSD, Linux, Solaris and the other UNIX, it might be possible)

Thats the point though, Write an optimised one for the norm windows. Then write one in a DDDL also. The runtime DDDL compiler will compile it for the OS. Sort of the JAVA concept only for device drivers. Write once run anywhere.

Exactly!

The problem is not the language, but the interface with OS. For example, the Windows GDI is very different than X-Window.

But OpenGL or Xaudio exist for Unix and Windows, so with a little I/O driver API, it will be possible to write only one driver for the different system...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!