My answer to Fermi's Paradox (comments?)

Started by
14 comments, last by Wavinator 22 years, 4 months ago
I know it''s been awhile since someone wrote here. But... I think your story could be deeper than an simple RTS. It seems strange that species that has been saved suddenly start arguing over land and food. And starting to kill each other.

They could start searching for the firemen instead. Or trying to become firemen themself. But that could also be substories in an RTS. Some fractions are fighting to "convince" people to become firemen, or a/some fractions just "leave" that safe-place to return home (they could return later with some cool story).

}+TITANIUM+{
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Advertisement
it might not be the type of thing you want, but what if these Firemen have an ulterior motive? i don''t necessarily mean they are bringing in all sorts of species so they can have several different types of brains to munch on... but they could have something less extreme. maybe something that isn''t necessarily evil, but that the relocated species (at least some of them) find extremely suspicious and/or distasteful.
i can''t think of a good example, so i hope that made sense.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Ah... My area of expertise... I shouldn''t gloat, chew on this:

www.spforge.com/wavin.htm

Wavinator, bear in mind that I wrote this SPECIFICALLY for this project, so have as much fun with it as you feel the need to

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
WHOOOOOAAAAA!!!! I all but ignored this topic, and was just checking the Writing Forum on a whim. Glad I looked!

quote:Original post by Seriema
I know it''s been awhile since someone wrote here. But... I think your story could be deeper than an simple RTS. It seems strange that species that has been saved suddenly start arguing over land and food. And starting to kill each other.

You''re right, actually. The conflict part (which isn''t necessarily a given) is contrived. I just thought it might be more reasonable because the races were "young" and, being adolescents, hadn''t gotten past the land grab phase (some, anyway).

quote:
They could start searching for the firemen instead. Or trying to become firemen themself. But that could also be substories in an RTS. Some fractions are fighting to "convince" people to become firemen, or a/some fractions just "leave" that safe-place to return home (they could return later with some cool story).

Thanks for the suggestions. This would make some of the conflicts more substantial, because they could be ideological or religious.

quote:Original post by krez
it might not be the type of thing you want, but what if these Firemen have an ulterior motive? i don''t necessarily mean they are bringing in all sorts of species so they can have several different types of brains to munch on... but they could have something less extreme. maybe something that isn''t necessarily evil, but that the relocated species (at least some of them) find extremely suspicious and/or distasteful.
i can''t think of a good example, so i hope that made sense.

Thx krez. I had thought of something like "Von Neuman Violators:" These would be races that, over time, reproduced uncontrollably, and that the Firemen needed to control for some reason. Maybe VNVs would use up a valuable mineral, or something, I never did figure out what... I like the idea, though.

quote:Original post by Symphonic
Ah... My area of expertise... I shouldn''t gloat, chew on this:

www.spforge.com/wavin.htm

Wavinator, bear in mind that I wrote this SPECIFICALLY for this project, so have as much fun with it as you feel the need to

Wow, Symphonic. I just don''t know what to say. Thank you! I like the whole explanation of NTNs and why they exist, and how they function versus other particles. This is VERY cool, and lends a lot of hard SF credibility to the idea! Thx (obviously a lot of effort)!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote:Original post by Wavinator
Fermi''s Paradox asks where the aliens are. So much time has passed that if intelligent life is not so unique then, after millions upon millions of years, it should be here by now.

I just realised, this is a total insult to human intelligence... lol

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Hey man nice sci-fi! I guess my two cents come in the form of elaboration. I think that fourth dimensional or hybrid (3rd/4th dimensional) "life" should be considered for villains. These would function sort of like like the wolf from The Neverending Story, or maybe like the dark riders of the Lord of the Rings trilogy spreading psychological mayhem wherever they go. I think this would help to integrate the storyline into gameplay value and make (a) common and more visceral foe/foes. Maybe hallucinations as attacks?

Also, have you considered different planetary atmosphere types? I.E. Acidic atmospheres, extreme winds etc. It might be interesting to see how aliens live in conditions to which humans must drastically adapt.

Ok my two cents, there ya go... good luck with your game! The story is great, just make sure the gameplay is: "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master"

Hope this helps stir ideas!!!!

Edited by - jakerrz on December 7, 2001 2:30:33 PM

Edited by - jakerrz on December 7, 2001 2:32:06 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement