Generative Music Experiement

Started by
13 comments, last by pernyblom 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I am currently developing a generative music tool to be used within games to make the music more responsive and dynamic. Here are some links to youtube videos that shows some dynamic generative music in action:
" >Latest Video
" >Node System Music
" >Manually changing parameters
" >Integrated into Game
" >Generative Music Youtube video One of the current challenges is to select good combinations of instruments and what they should play given the wanted intensity, tension and other parameters that should be provided as input by the game. Currently, the parameters evolve randomly (in the integrated video) which is not a very good solution. Suggestions and comments are most welcome! [Edited by - pernyblom on April 15, 2010 9:30:24 AM]
Advertisement
you do realise that you make millions of musicians lose their jobs because of this invention?
He he, not a very likely scenario :)
This tool can not compete with a skilled musician in offline compositioning and probably not when it comes to dynamic music as well. But I hope that it will be a popular way to add dynamically changing music when not high quality music is required.

BTW, I have added a new video:

" >New (better) Youtube video

Two of the parameters I would like to use in the game is general "upness" and overall intensity. These two parameters are used in this new video. I would like to add two more that determines the softness of the instruments and a better happyness parameter that is faster to react.
Sorry for off-topic, but it reminds me of something I must send:

[Edited by - lesny_troll on October 5, 2009 2:08:28 PM]
-----------------------------http://myspace.com/pliaga
Can you try making the generator try other kind of music? So far the music in both of those videos sounds pretty much too similar.

Quote:Original post by lesny_troll
Sorry for off-topic, but it reminds mi something I must send:

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Yes it is possible to create different types of music. The current version uses a very simple technique to build beats but I will take a good look at the scripts in cgMusic which can create many different types of music.
Then I guess it is just a matter of building adaptable versions of those scripts so that you can change the intensity etc. dynamically.
I have added another video when the module is integrated into a game:

" >New video when the music module is integrated into a game
I find this very interesting. Please keep us updated!
Sound Designer - Composer
www.jackmenhorn.com
Purely generative music has it's place and is like a very strong spice that is best used in very small amounts. I worked with an audio director who was completely sold on the generative music concept and wanted about 85% of his game (a MMO project) to utilize this approach. He would wax on and on about how many hours of "new" music could be generated. In a way he was right; each new second of music was something I hadn't heard before in that game. He was also wrong. Because each new second of music was so new and random, it all started to sound exactly alike to me and others. The concept defeated itself.

Never underestimate the power of melody and how a player will attach to it, whether they realize it or not.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Quote:Original post by nsmadsen
In a way he was right; each new second of music was something I hadn't heard before in that game. He was also wrong. Because each new second of music was so new and random, it all started to sound exactly alike to me and others. The concept defeated itself.

For me this is a big issue with generative music in games, there are many different ways of creating music and most people choose randomness. Which ends up sounding, well... random. If your shooting for a generative composition in the western classical style then the generative audio system should hold enough knowledge of music theory to pick suitable notes. It can be done with promising results (http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope/experiments.htm).
Chris HipgraveComposer/Sound Designer3 Peak Audiohttp://www.3peakaudio.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement