Generative Music Experiement

Started by
13 comments, last by pernyblom 14 years, 5 months ago
Here is another video where I play around with the different song parameters:

" >New video

It gets a little to crazy sometimes, but it demonstrates that different types of musical modes can be expressed, sort of :)
Advertisement
I agree that when you mix to much randomness into the process together with to little familiar Western-style structure it mostly becomes unlistenable. I have studied some music theory and one form of compositioning technique that I found in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition book using structural notes that are "embellished" in different ways and depend on the current chord.
The generator is currently very simple and the different melodies that can be created are limited and sound alike. However, I think that this can be resolved iteratively with both better compositioning skills (from my side), models (from literature) and algorithms. I have bought the book "Computer Models of Musical Creativity" by David Cope and I plan to read it when I continue with the generative music. Currently, I work with procedural graphics and models so the music has to wait :)
This is a really great idea in terms of mathematics and theory....

But once anyone sees and listens to the video, everyone knows why it won't work as is. To some extent, it is pleasurable - but when you listen to it for more than a minute, you see the repetitive nature, and if you can imagine every game featuring the same music renditions, you start to question your sanity :-D

No doubt, it's a very cool demo - but just like AI programming, nobody has come up with a computer that paints humanly, or speaks like an artist, etc.

The AI implementations are cool. The applicable nature of music is just too primitive. Only the lowest budget projects will seek this sort of solution... and of course, the lowest budgets will hire 'free-bie; composers anyway.

Keep up the work, though... if I dare say so myself. Programming is an art.
Yes I know that it is currently very repetitive :)
But I do think that it can become much, much better when I am able to generate more interesting and varying melody lines and not just use that same 8 measures over and over with very simple structural and connecting notes. More interesting and varying harmony and percussion is also something that will improve the final result.
Without such improvements, it can not really be used (as you say), but I am very optimistic about the future.
I currently try to make the transformation from different property values (intesity etc.) more flexible by implementing different music composing nodes in my node system.

Here is a video that shows one simple transformation from intensity to music while keeping almost everything fixed (harmonic rythm, percussion and instrument changes):

" >Node System Music

I will later develop input nodes where you can control the parameters that you choose to vary. It could be parameters that determine what harmonic rythm to use or what instrument set to switch between and much much more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement