• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gilzu

Direct3d? DirectDraw?? HELP!!!

This topic is 6350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok, I used to program alot in C++ for DOS, moved to Win32 about two years ago, now started to migrate from softwares to games. i''m a quick learner, but when i approached Directx 8, (ive Read all SDK & tuturials) well, i wanted to learn use graphics, but the documentation only refers to 3D. ive been searching for a month for how-to use 2D graphics (nothing biggie, lines&bitmaps) for a game, heard things about direct draw, but microsoft says its all INSIDE D3D and rather hide it. now, if youll be kind enough to answer me two questions i''ll be most gratful (actually, you dont know how much cause i''ve been looking for this for 2 monthes now) 1. whats microsoft''s DirectX''s interface part that handles 2D graphics? and i mean in DX8, why isnt there any documentation?? 2. Documentation for Question 1? tuturials? I just need simple things like draw lines,circles and then some bitmaps. i can go on on my self from there. thanks a WHOLE lot to who ever answer this. consider your feets kissed. ok, i went too far, but you catch my meaning Gil

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You should use DirectX 7 (it''s all contained in the DX8 SDK though, so you don''t actually need the DX7 SDK), it contains the DirectDraw component, while DX8 is more geared towards 3D graphics, and all the DirectDraw stuff is "hidden".

Rumor has it that DirectX 9 will yet again contain the DirectDraw stuff, but for now your pretty much stuck with version 7 (unless you want to "emulate" 2D using 3D primitives, you should be able to find some info on this site about that).

so what youre actually saying that microsoft
decided to "hide" all 2D related interface?

idiotic, but sounds like microsoft
ok...

now, does it mean i should have to migrate
back to dx7 or that i can use the same
directdraw in dx8?

Gil

I think it is unlikely that MS will reimplement ddraw for dx9, so dont hold your breath.

The reason for getting rid of 2D is simple - there isnt an awful lot of point in it. You can still do 2d using direct3d (textured quads etc) plus you get hardware accelerated scaling, rotation,alpha blending, transparency, lighting etc. for free. In these days of hardware acceleration, 3d is faster than 2d.

There is a cost to this - 3d is a little less intuitive to use and requires a bit more setup. To be honest though, I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, that''s _indeed_ idiotic. Nothing is more waste than using 3D just for some simple 2D graphics, and it''s way more complex to do too. M$ probably thinks that 2D graphics are not anymore used?

Its not idiotic at all - ddraw is still (and always will be) available using dx7 or below. There isnt much point updating it further though, because there is nothing you can do using ddraw that you can''t do better using d3d.

Here is the deal. Direct X 7.0 came out roughly 2 years ago. (3 at most). In the past 3 years what have Nvidia, 3dfx, S3, or any other graphics chip maker done to the 2d side of their video cards? Absolutely nothing. Their focus is on 3d. Sure Microsoft could toss in a bunch of functionality for rotating or alphablending in 2d however without the hardware to support these you might as well code it yourself. So the idea was simple. Direct X is backwards compatible with all previous versions. There for using direct X 8.0 you can query the direct draw 7.0 interfaces, and use them. Microsoft even included some direct draw wrappers in the ddutil.cpp and .h files, to show you how to do it. The Direct X 8.0 documentation doesn''t cover direct draw 7.0 however you can download the dx 7.0 documentation from the MSDN website.

mind sending me a link to that DX7 documentation?
they hidden it hard enought in their site

10x
Gil

Well ms''s site is extremly difficult to post links to and have them work correctly. Let me just give you directions instead.

Goto: http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/

Over on the right hand side of the screen look for the RELATED LINKS box. Choose DIRECT X DOWNLOADS.

Now you''ll notice on the left hand side of the screen you have an extended data tree.

Click on the Direct X 8.0 Partial SDK downloads.

Now over on the right hand side of the screen you have a bunch of links. One of which is the direct x 7.1 documentation downloads.

Yeah, DX7 will do it for you if you want to stick to 2D. I suspect the whole "3D only" thing is a plot by Microsoft to get all those folks that don''t have adequate 3D cards (uhm, that''s the greater portion of the populace) to upgrade to GeForce-class cards whether they need to or not! That ought to improve cashflow and boost the economy... lol..

It''s not as hard to do 2D in 3D as it may appear, however, and there are a couple of good articles (here and on www.gamasutra.com ) on how to do it. If you can get a quad to render, you can do 2D with 3D - just don''t expect acceptable performance on machines without a decent 3D accelerator...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!