• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mars_888

Slowdown on Geforce?

This topic is 6234 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been working on a game for a while, but I''ve been having this weird bug. Everything runs fine the first time I run it, I get a fps of 500 fullscreen and about 200 windowed (not displaying much on screen). But if I shut down and start again, my framerate seems to be lower, about 150 windowed. Now, if I shut down and restart again my framerate drops to below 1 At first glance, it seems I''m not getting hardware acceleration anymore, though even if that''s the case, I think the framerate would need to be higher. I have to restart my computer to make everything run ok again. It''s really annoying if I''m debugging and I have to reboot after every 2 tries. Btw, my system is an 800 mhz PIII with a 32 MB GeForce. Any ideas would be greately apreciated!

Advertisement
Sounds like a memory leak to me.. I could be wrong though. Go through your shutdown code and make sure you''re cleaning up all your objects.

-Marc
-SiliconReality Software
-http://www.blackenfall.org

That use to happen to me when i didn''t let the program reach the end.., for example when i had a breakpoint somewhere in the code, and stopped the execution..,when i updated the drivers, everything is alright.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Marc: I''ve checked my memory usage with the method described here: http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=Tip-MemoryLeaksInVC&forum=totd&id=-1

I had 7 leaks and clearing them up seems to have helped, or at least I haven''t had any problems yet. Thing is that I don''t understand why having a few leaks would cause hardware acceleration to fail.

ZedZeek: I''m using Window$ ME
But does using window$ 9x cause any problems in this respect?

Bruno: I thought this might be the problems too in the beginning, but it also happened when I let the program run too the end.

windows9x = windows(95,98/se,ME)
winNT = windowsNT,win2000,winXP

windows9x does always freeup all resources/memory after the programs exits, winNT doesnt suffer from this bug

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

windows9x = windows(95,98/se,ME)
winNT = windowsNT,win2000,winXP

windows9x doesn''t always freeup all resources/memory after the programs exits, winNT doesnt suffer from this bug

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Guest Anonymous Poster
(re WinME) and even with 768mb of ram, it is darn annoying if you run System Monitor for Unused Physical Memory. It keeps on getting less, worse than 95/98.
Good thing is (I found it by accident) some OpenGL software I wrote along time ago (''96) cleaned up memory for my old P100 (when it was new) before starting or it use to crash, got the code off the Borland news groups. I found a use for it again.

zedzeek: WinNT is not free from the hazards of memory leaks. Programs can still have them. I have had to track down several of them.

mars_888: It''s not the number of leaks that really makes the difference, it''s the size of the leaks. You could have hundreds of 256 bit leaks without really noticing, but one 1MB leak could quickly become visible.

In general, memory leaks area bad thing, and should be fixed.

J.W.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!