Problem updating database

Started by
1 comment, last by JimboC 14 years, 6 months ago
When I try to update my MSAccess database using the code below, I get the following error: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: No value given for one or more required parameters

OleDbCommand DeviceDB_Command = new OleDbCommand();
DeviceDB_Command.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
DeviceDB_Command.CommandText = "UPDATE Manufacturer SET Manufacturer = '" + Edit_TB_Man.Text + "' WHERE Garbage-Index = " + GarbageNum;
DeviceDB_Command.Connection = DeviceDB_Connection;
DeviceDB_Connection.Open();
LinesUpdated = DeviceDB_Command.ExecuteNonQuery();
DeviceDB_Connection.Close();

As near as I can tell the code is correct and the UPDATE command is what it should be. Also, the table name is Manufacturer and the field name is Manufacturer. I thought that might be the issue but changing either makes no difference. Edit_TB_Man is a text box (yes, I'm doing checking for quotes and whatnot). GarbageNum is an INT that has the correct number for the record to be updated. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by JimboC
"UPDATE Manufacturer SET Manufacturer = '" + Edit_TB_Man.Text + "' WHERE Garbage-Index = " + GarbageNum
I believe the problem is the field name "Garbage-Index". I think you need to quote it (I don't know the proper quoting rules for Access, but it could either be "" or []. That is,
"UPDATE Manufacturer SET Manufacturer = '" + Edit_TB_Man.Text + "' WHERE \"Garbage-Index\" = " + GarbageNum
Or
"UPDATE Manufacturer SET Manufacturer = '" + Edit_TB_Man.Text + "' WHERE [Garbage-Index] = " + GarbageNum
Anyway, give those a try.

Also, it's a really bad idea to d inline queries where you're accepting input from the user like you've done here. I assume Edit_TB_Man is a textbox control on a web form or windows form. You really should be using a parameterized queries because what you've done here is left yourself open to SQL injection attacks (just think about what would happen if someone typed "'; DELETE FROM Manufacturer; SELECT * FROM Manufacturer WHERE Manufacturer ='" into the text box...)
It was the second example you put in there. Thanks a bunch.

And I'm checking for any type of malicious input as the user types into the textbox. If they do that I throw up an error message, drop them out of the program and drop an automated email to their supervisor with the offending entry included. It was requested I do things that way for reasons I'm not privy to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement