• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iBirdsniper

Computer Science Course in High School

This topic is 3357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All, As some of you may know, i am a junior in High School and i am an aspiring Game programmer. I have a few books, but i need to find a school in the LOS ANGELES CA region where i can learn a few programming languages and possibly get college credit for those. Please , let me know if any of you have an idea about where i can head to for Computer Science Courses. I Thank you kindly. Gary

Advertisement
Hey Gary,

Take as high level math as you can, and try and find a school that has "AP Computer Science" offered.

You can also check and see if any community colleges in your area would let you attend and get a jump start on some computer science or game dev classes (if they offer game dev curriculum)

Also, ***very important*** make sure and get as many MODERN books as you can in game development in C++ / DirectX and go through them and learn as much as you possibly can. OpenGL is a decent API, but unfortunately it's kind of dead for game development (well except for iphone / ipod touch development).

You can learn C# game dev too like with XNA, but make sure you get plenty of C++ experience and get comfortable with it.

Also, make sure that you FINISH your programs so that they are demoable. That is uber important! And try and expose yourself to as much knowledge as humanly possible. That means do some graphics programming, some physics programming, network programming, multithreaded programming, do some security type stuff, work with databases if you can etc.

Have you given any thoughts to college after high school?

You might check out digipen here in washington state. I've worked with people that were fresh grads from schools like UCI, USC and cal tech, and compared with fresh grads from digipen, they don't know much about game dev although they know alot about programming in general.

digipen is a school that seems to make quality game developers.

And hey, stick to it you can make it if you keep pushing towards it (:

Thank You for your reply,

I have given thought to different colleges such as mit, ucla, cal tech, and stanford. These are some of the colleges i have been looking at because they have a good reputation for a pretty good computer science program. If i do check out full sail it would probably be after i get my Bachelor's in CS, because what if i don't make in it in game programming, i want to have something i can really fall back on. I'm starting to learn C++ right now , from which i hope to learn C# and XNA.

thanks for your reply again,
Gary

Do any colleges not have Computer Science these days (besides specialized schools that is)? I don't really suggest going into a game programming course at the moment, as they are not really standardized by the industry yet. Maybe in another 10 years the curriculum will settle down. Plus, taking standard Computer Science, you will always have regular programming to fall back on which means you can get a great job anywhere at any time.

Good luck with that iBirdsniper. I'm a senior right now, I took a C and a C++ class at a local community college for the credits. Nice thing about taking college courses is it counts as a honors course, i.e. 5 points vs 4 towards GPA.

I also plan on taking the AP Computer Science test this year; I didn't take a class for it, but I have a book for it and also programming experience.

Damn it! I just went on collegeboard's site and found this notice on the AP Computer Science AB page:

Note: AP Computer Science AB was discontinued following the May 2009 exam administration. The resources on this page will remain available for computer science teachers until December 15, 2009.

Stupid bastards, I was planning on getting credit for 2 classes with this test! grrrr....

Well sorry for that outburst, but anyways, good luck.

Ooohh...one more thing. Both UC Santa Cruz and USC have a specific Game Development degree that falls under their Computer Science. That's the program I'm hoping to get into.

Here's some links if your interested:

UCSC - It does say Design, but this degree does involve lots of coding and what not

USC

-Mikfig

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!