Tell me what you think of my game Idea

Started by
6 comments, last by XoADreadnought 14 years, 6 months ago
Hey All, I just thought I'd let you guys check out the C++ project I'm doing. Just to let you know I am normally a biology and not a computer programmer, but this game I'm working on is just for some fun and entertainment. It's called Evolve, and the purpose of the game is what the title suggests. I want to recreate the phenomenon of evolution the best I can, while still creating a fun game. In the game you play as a microbe colony, your goal is to survive by gaining energy, growing, and mutating. You can choose between being a phototroph and use light for energy, a heterotroph and eat other organisms for your food, or a chemotroph and go to chemical deposits to eat your food. You can also play on Earth, mars, mercury or hoth(for the star wars fans). Along the way there will be other creatures trying to eat, outgrow, and generally overcome you. Currently there are 21 mutations to edit your creature, with more coming along the way. Eventually I hope to program into the game a full scale organism development system. Meaning from the prokaryote level, you would gain a nucleus then become multicellular. From there build tissues, from tissues build organs, from organs to organ systems. Eventually giving the simulation of the entire scale of the 3.5 billion years of life. From microbe to complex organism check it out at: www.evolvethegame.webs.com Let me know what you think. What's awesome about the game, what's not so awesome. And keep in mind this is a work in progress that keeps getting better. Also, there will be an update to the game pretty soon [Edited by - MilkyJoe on October 11, 2009 1:28:25 AM]
Advertisement
for those who are too lazy to copy and paste links and yet ironically will take the time to write out a post.....
a summary of your game please?

It sounds pretty interesting, and maybe people could even learn a thing or two about biology (it sounds like your project is pretty grounded in academic facts). Only thing is that offering your game as an ISO is a bit inconvenient. For example, I don't have an ISO handling program installed on my computer, so I am sure at least a few other people don't as well. Have you tried compressing it with another program, or in a different format such as .zip?
the initial concept sounds interesting.
although it reminds me of that ps3 game.
flow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28video_game%29

I looked at your site...
to be honest this looks more like a simulation than a game.
at least that is how i would call it.
in this day and age, I don't think there are many people who would be willing to play a game that is mostly constructed from text.
who knows perhaps i'm wrong.
I'm used to xbox so this really isn't my area. ^^;

but of course you said your game will evolve.
so I should treat it based on the core concept and mechanics?
I like the idea of going with the complexity of different types of fleshy parts, muscles etc.

also looking at your interface, if i use my imagination, i can think about a user interface to do these actions, rather than controlling the movement of the cell, you are controlling its fundamental behaviour. it sounds exciting.
Quote:Original post by jackolantern1
It sounds pretty interesting, and maybe people could even learn a thing or two about biology (it sounds like your project is pretty grounded in academic facts). Only thing is that offering your game as an ISO is a bit inconvenient. For example, I don't have an ISO handling program installed on my computer, so I am sure at least a few other people don't as well. Have you tried compressing it with another program, or in a different format such as .zip?

there should be a .rar below the .iso. The only reason I put both on, is although I know .rar is more convenient, I've had troubles with it in the past with messing up the file during the zipping process. I don't get that with iso's
Sounds almost a lot like SPORE? Might want to check that out, just seeing as the ideas are similar, though yours sounds a lot more complex.
____________________________iMPETUSWork In Progress - Vehement Thrones: Control your emotion or it will control youCheck it out: Vehement Thrones Website
I could be misinterpreting what you said, but it sounds like you're talking about a game in which you can "attach" various mutations during gameplay to upgrade your organism. That's a perfectly valid style of gameplay, but it's not evolution. What you're talking about sounds like the opposite of evolution, which is design, wherein you (the designer) chooses features you believe will be most beneficial to the organism (like the game Spore).

What would be more interesting is having creatures that have alleles that you can't directly control, but that you can view. Those will control features like size, color, longevity, etc. Then, you'll be able to alter the environment, which will select for certain individuals in that population.

I think that would provide some interesting possibilities to emerge.
You mean you're making SPORE, right?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement