Good C++ Compiler for Mac OSX?

Started by
11 comments, last by Chrono1081 14 years, 6 months ago
Could anyone point me in the right direction for a compiler for mac osx? I'm not sure what to use without downloading a ton of programs and trying them all, so a recommendation is what I'm looking for.
Advertisement
Register at http://developer.apple.com/ and download their free Xcode IDE which includes the GCC compiler (I think that's the right name).
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
Register at http://developer.apple.com/ and download their free Xcode IDE which includes the GCC compiler (I think that's the right name).

Yup gcc that comes with Xcode has always been good enough for me.
If you install the latest Xcode it comes with gcc 4.21 for macosx.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
A friend of mine at work uses OSX and of late has been telling me about LLVM and Clang as a compiler setup in Snow Lepoard
Quote:Original post by phantom
A friend of mine at work uses OSX and of late has been telling me about LLVM and Clang as a compiler setup in Snow Lepoard

Apple has been trying to get away from GCC for a while now. They want full control over the ObjC compiler (especially due to the "Apple-ifications" of ObjC2 features in Cocoa), and that wasn't realistically doable on GCC. And I think that Apple also wanted their own version of a .NET type of platform. Just wait until they start customizing the LLVM IL...
Quote:Original post by Yann L
Quote:Original post by phantom

Apple has been trying to get away from GCC for a while now. They want full control over the ObjC compiler (especially due to the "Apple-ifications" of ObjC2 features in Cocoa), and that wasn't realistically doable on GCC. And I think that Apple also wanted their own version of a .NET type of platform. Just wait until they start customizing the LLVM IL...
Don't forget that LLVM also forms the basis of Apple's GLSL and OpenCL compilers, so there may well be benefits to them from using a common compiler infrastructure.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Don't forget that LLVM also forms the basis of Apple's GLSL and OpenCL compilers, so there may well be benefits to them from using a common compiler infrastructure.

Oh, there are obviously a lot of benefits for such a system. It's not only GLSL or CL, their entire OpenGL driver (including the software fallbacks) is JIT compiled by LLVM. I can see such a setup providing significant performance improvements under certain scenarios. And of course, a consistent compiler toolchain is logistically important.

I just can't get my head around their obsession with ObjC (which I hate with a passion), and their aggressive deprecation model.
Quote:Original post by Yann L
I just can't get my head around their obsession with ObjC (which I hate with a passion)
One can't deny that they get a lot of mileage out of it though, and their frameworks are truly fantastic (Cocoa, CoreAnimation, etc.). As far as the language itself goes, Scala it ain't, but I don't find it a bad language, and the level of interoperability with C and C++ is pretty nice [smile]
Quote:and their aggressive deprecation model.
This one bites me again and again - having just moved to Snow Leopard and had my (primarily 32-bit) toolchain completely hosed by the lack of 64-bit Carbon... On the flip side, I can see why they don't want to see the platform stagnate, a la Windows XP.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

There's avoiding the platform stagnating and there's driving away developers because they can't afford to keep up with the development costs of upgrading practically everything for no particularly good reason.
Well, I'm just stuck with a MAC for now, so I guess I'll learn to use this IDE, xcode that is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement