• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tonypr

Architecture question

This topic is 3178 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, In my game; I have a Game class (very original) which contains different game scenes (other classes); let's say SceneA and SceneB Now; I wanted to add some kind of transition between SceneA and SceneB; so that when a user presses a key to move to the next scene, the old one fades to black first. My idea was to add a new class "Transition" to SceneA; that would have a "FadeOut" member. Then I simply have to call "FadeOut" from SceneA. The problem is that I have to detect when the fade out is over so my first guess was to create a function pointer in the transition class and call whatever is pointed to when the transition is over. So that; In my SceneA class; I'd have something like this: class Transition { ... void FadeOut(); void* OnFadeOutOver(void); } And in SceneA, I would have class SceneA { Transition t; void OnFadeOutOver(); } ... And somewhere in my SceneA code: t.OnFadeOutOver = this->OnFadeOutOver(); t.FadeOut(); But I guess this is wrong, since the linker gives me an unresolved external symbol error. Moreover, what I'm trying to achieve is maybe not the smartest way to do it. How would you proceed? Thanks! Tony

Advertisement
Can we see some actual code, and the exact error message? (What you posted won't compile, for a number of reasons, so if you're getting to the link phase of the build I'm guessing your code is significantly different than what you've posted.)

Hi Jyk,

I didn't want to post actual code so that I don't be rude copy/pasting dozen of code.

The class is very simple:

Transition.h

#pragma once
#if defined(WIN32)
#include <windows.h>
#endif
#include "Game.h"

class Transition
{
public:
Transition(void);
void FadeOut(); //start fade out
void FadeIn(); //NIY

void* OnFadeOutOver(void); //pointer to the function that will be called when fade out is over
void* OnFadeInOver(void);

bool Active; //determine if transition is currently on
float Length; //transition duration, in seconds

void Update();
void Draw();

~Transition(void);

private:
float time;

};

Transition.cpp

#include "Transition.h"

Transition::Transition(void)
{
Active = false;
Length = 0.5f; //500 miliseconds
}

Transition::~Transition(void)
{
}

void Transition::FadeOut()
{
//reset time
time = 0.0f;

//acitve!
Active = true;
}

void Transition::Draw()
{
if(Active)
{
//do some stuff
}
}

void Transition::Update()
{
if(Active)
{
time += Game::timer->ElapsedTime();

//detect if over
if(time > Length)
{
Active = false;
time = 0.0f;

//fading is over; call the end function
OnFadeOutOver();
}

}
}

t.OnFadeOutOver = this->OnFadeOutOver();
t.FadeOut();

Error:
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void * __thiscall Transition::OnFadeOutOver(void)" (?OnFadeOutOver@Transition@@QAEPAXXZ)

[Edited by - tonypr on October 11, 2009 2:56:25 PM]

It's not rude to post code :) However, can you repost the code using [source][/source] tags? That'll make it much easier to read.

void* OnFadeOutOver(void); //pointer to the function that will be called when fade out is over

This isn't a pointer-to-function. It's a function that returns pointer-to-void.

You meant:

void (*OnFadeOutOver)(void);

Though perhaps consider creating an interface or using something like boost::function.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!