• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sumeet

DirectX or OpenGL

This topic is 3353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am developing a game under Microsoft windows from scratch which is the best option to use DirectX or OpenGL....?? Thank You

Advertisement
Yes.

Now seriously, use whichever you feel more comfortable with. This is a common question on the forum and often leads to API wars among the community. There are several differences between OGL and DX, but ultimately you can accomplish the same things with both. The only real difference is that you can't use DX on anything but Windows and the XBox 360, but if you're trying to figure out "which API is best," then portability probably shouldn't be nearly as important in your equation as learning the basics.

More plainly, choose whichever seems like it suits you better and go for it. The basic principles you'll learn are more important than which API you're learning it with.

[Edited by - dudeman21 on October 11, 2009 6:03:31 PM]

Both of your game components will probably be tied to windows only, so.. I say toss a coin in the air and see what it lands on. I'll make it easy for you: heads is directx and tails is opengl. Now flip!

This is always going to be a matter of opinion - and only once you've delved into at least one of the APIs a bit will you know what fatures and architecture works best for you

You specified writing for Microsoft Windows, which means you want to stick to DirectX since that's easier (just download and install Visual Studio and the DirectX SDK). DirectX also contains libraries for tasks other than graphics, so you won't have to install much else.

It's also not accurate to pose the question between DirectX and OpenGL, since OpenGL is only for 3D graphics while DirectX contains APIs for 3D, sound, and controllers. Again, this is one reason you want to stick to DirectX: you won't have to research and hunt down a bunch of other APIs, some of which are just cross-platform wrappers to DirectX.

I personally use OpenGL, SDL, and OpenALSoft instead of DirectX, but that is only because I plan on developing cross platform, rather that only for one specific platform, as you are doing. So long as you develop only on MS Windows and under MS Windows, DirectX is enough.

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!