• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
georgiano

Windowless application

This topic is 3176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I started working on a program today and I want to make it windowless, something like Winamp for example, where the shape of the "window" can be watever you want. I tried several aproaches but none of them worked. I also intend having 3D stuff in the program so I'll be using DirectX, if that changes anything. So I was wondering if any of you would know a way that a windowless application can be made. I will appriciate any kind of response, wether just an advice or an actual solution.

Advertisement
Maybe this article will help. The method is a bit messy, but that's how Windows was made after all...

You can play around with GetWindowDC() (Win32 API) and trap WM_NCPAINT (as well as other non-client messages for buttons, etc). GetWindowDC() gives you access to the window title bar, menu, etc., areas so you can paint them yourself.

The device context returned by GetWindowDC includes the client area so, if you're going to give the client area to DirectX, be careful. Be sure to release the dc before you do any other updating/animation/etc.

Charles Petzold's "Programming Windows" (Microsoft Programming Series) talks about it a little but not much. If you're not very familiar with using the Win32 API that book would, however, be an excellent investment. It'll run you about 60USD but it's the bible of Windows programming.

Quote:
Original post by LeChuckIsBack
Maybe this article will help. The method is a bit messy, but that's how Windows was made after all...

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!