• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
treeway

Shadow mapping tips?

This topic is 3178 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok I've implemented projective shadow mapping, I have one spotlight that casts shadows into my scene but I've got a few probelms. The projected texture is quite aliased and there are quite a lot of artifacts close to the light. Currently I use a camera as the light with a 45 degree field of view and an aspect ratio that matches my main render target. The light is positioned quite far from the scene so that it will effect all visible areas of the scene ( it's an outside scene) without moving the lights position. I would like to know if anyone has any tips for getting better results from shadow mapping. Should I use a narrow filed of view? A wide one? Should I move the light with the games camera? I want it to look like the shadows are being cast from the sun. Any tips?

Advertisement
you may try orthogonal projection for rendering the shadow map. it simulates directional lights.
also, use a 24bit or higher depth buffer. combined with PCF and right parameter settings, you will barely notice any aliasing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!