Epilepsy

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 6 months ago
I am 17 and am desperate to get into games programming and then games design. I have taken Maths, Computing, Business and Psychology at A-Level (UK) and know I want to go to Abertay University in Dundee to do a degree in games design. I know it is hard to get into the games industry but i am just wondering, would i get hired? I have epilepsy but a special kind where i only have fits when im asleep. Would bosses and managers at companies refuse to hire me because of the epilepsy. Please write back soon, URGENT! thanks, jony.
Advertisement
No. In fact, in most countries it would be illegal not to hire you based solely on your epilepsy (of course, proving that you were not hired because of epilepsy and not some other reason is tough). But I'd say most companies would not see it as an obstacle, so keep studying, keep making games in your spare time, and good luck!
Cheers pal
Employers are generally prohibited from asking about your medical history except as it relates to your ability to do the job.

As long as it doesn't impact your work performance, it doesn't need to come up at all.

If it does not impact your performance but there is still a chance you may experience a seizure on the job, let them know on your first day of work. Be tactful about it. When you and your manager chat to get to know each other, explain that you have had seizures in the past and probably won't have them at work, but if you happen to have one, explain how to handle it.
Provided your epilepsy isn't triggered by anything game related that you could be working on, I don't see a need to even disclose it during the interview process.

As frob said though, if there's a random chance of it happening at work, you may want to tell a trusted co-worker or boss about about it once you get the job, just so they know what to do if it happens.
Doesn't your school have a career counselor? You ought to be able to get answers on this kind of thing from him or her.

Thinking about this logically:
If your medical condition was a barrier to getting into the video game industry, wouldn't it be just as much a barrier to getting ANY job?

What those other guys said is true - employers are not supposed to make hiring decisions based on this sort of condition. But your school's career counselor is there to help you understand matters regarding potential future employment. You really ought to avail yourself of that resource.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement