• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BrainGuy

Standard gamepad assignments for object rotation

This topic is 3175 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

At the risk of raising a dumb question. Are there any published standards on what the best assignments are for common 3D operations using a gamepad. Best here could even mean what is most common and familiar to users. Is this written down anywhere? I need this information to assess an app designed for me for my research in cognitive science. Specifically I need to know if there is a common standard practice for external object rotation around all 3 coordinates. Think in terms of a box in an arbitrary orientation that you need to turn to face the right way and in the right alignment. I know what we did. I know what people who play games a lot tell me. I have my own opinion of what the best practice probably is (it seemed extremely intuitive once we implemented it), but unless I can compare it to a published reference I am going to have trouble with hostile skeptical colleagues.

Advertisement
If most people can pick up the controller and intuitively do what they want without struggling with the controls, then it's good.

"most people" could be your colleagues, or it could be taken from a bunch of usability testing

First, thanks for your reply!

Regarding what you said: I realize this. And in fact a collaborator has run over 40 subjects with the app and they have all performed the task readily, albeit with varying levels of proficiency (which is good because its one of the things we want to examine).

I am looking for ways to avoid getting bogged down in formal usability testing because I have already seen what the results would be based on our detailed yet informal observations of the app in action.

However a skeptical or hostile reviewer can (and is darn likely to) say -- "Designing usable interfaces is not a trivial thing, as evidenced by the existence of an entire field of Human Computer Interaction. Why should anyone believe YOU succeed in this? What is your evidence"). In rare cases I will be able to show them the app which speaks for itself.

I am looking for more ammunition to fend off the need to prove this by time consuming cumbersome usability testing. If there is actually something out there that already describes what we derived as a good way to do this, it would help.

I don't know how you'd standardise it, as there isn't a standard gamepad. Yes, the 360 and PS3 controllers share a number of features, but their layout is quite different. There are also a load of different controller designs for the PC.

Some games adopt layouts that were initiated by other games (FPS games on the 360 usually have a Halo type control layout available), and if your app has the exact same type of control options as the best selling app, then it would make sense to try and copy them so users feel at home.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!