• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
greg2fs

No more CD3DSkinmesh in DX9SDK ? :(

This topic is 3171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I just had the very bad idea of updating my dxsdk to the latest one and it seems than my code is no longer compatible, in fact the CD3DSkinmesh class is no longer given in any samples and the old one doesn't work any more, I tried to create a class with the skinned mesh sample of the new sdk but did not success, in my next program I wich to use my own skinning method but rigth now I really need help to use the microsoft one. Thanks

Advertisement
You're correct that DX9 doesn't have a separate class for a skinned mesh.

What problems are you having with the SDK example?

I think I miss some c++ base, I need a separate class for a better readability, but in the sdk sample some functions (for example of CAllocateHierarchy) use global functions witch will become class function, and it's not very clear in my head, as I always avoided complicated things with classes, derived classes...

It is perhaps unfortunate that DX9 doesn't support a complete skinned mesh class. And D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX does require user implementation of the CAllocateHierarchy class. It differs from most DirectX functions in that regard. However, if you want to use D3DXLoadMeshHierarchy, that's what it takes.

You might want to google for "Frank Luna skinned mesh" as there are several good references that explain a lot about implementation of D3DXFRAME and CAllocateHierarchy.

I don't WANT TO use D3DXLoadMeshHierarchy, I just never realy tried to understand CD3DSkinmesh class, because it has always seemed very complicated for me for what it does... I'll see, thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!