• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

bresenham square filling

This topic is 3079 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm trying to make a rotozoomer on an 8x32 LED matrix. I obviously don't have much room to work in, and this is mostly just an experiment to see if it can be done, but I'm running into problems. I have my LEDs displaying a checkerboard pattern of squares. When the checkerboard is not rotated, I can make the squares simply by doing s Bresenham lines from the top to the bottom of each square, where s is the size length in pixels. If this isn't the best method then let me know. Now say I rotate my checkerboard by theta around the center of the board, (cx,cy). Here's something thrown together to take a square's topleft point (x,y) and draw a square of side s (number of nodes a side contains) under rotation theta. It doesn't work well under rotation, and I think it's just not the right way to go about it.
void rectangle(float x, float y, int s, float theta)
    x-=cx;y-=cy; //translate so origin is board center
    float px1,py1,px2,py2;
    for (int i=0;i<s;i++)
      px1=x*cos(theta)-(y+i)*sin(theta); //rotation matrix for ith row in square
      py1 = x*sin(theta)+(y+i)*cos(theta);
      bres_line(px1+cx,py1+cy,px2+cx,py2+cy); //translate back to origin, plot line

Make theta 0, it works for my 8x32. When theta is nonzero, I can make out the checkerboard, but the squares are skewed or contain small gaps. I think that the rounding issues of bres_line create a different line at certain angles, or most angles, when the square side length is small compared to the spacing of the LEDs. Or rather, the top of a square has a line that is different from the line at the bottom of the square, and so gaps might appear. Either bres_line just won't work here, or it works and there's some other way to make sure it fills all the gaps. I read about people calculating the endpoints of the edges without rotation, then translating all of those, but it appears I'm kind of doing that here.. Is there a (working) way to draw and fill a square whose vertices you know on a square lattice under rotation? (note this post used to be a part of a different thread, but I decided to keep specific bres line issues separate from conceptual and general ideas for using LED matrices)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement