Has anoyone read the book/pdf Learn C++ in 21 Days

Started by
30 comments, last by KyleM 14 years, 6 months ago
I have been reading it, it seems pretty good. Although i don't know if its me, but i covers a bit to much in one day to my liking. Like i was understanding everything clearly but the topic was being dragged of for a bit to long and i was starting to forget other stuff because of being flooded with too much new information. I know this has probably been covered but. The best book that's not too slow and is good for game design?
Advertisement
Quote: ... i was starting to forget other stuff because of being flooded with too much new information.

Stop.

Chew.

Swallow.

Regurgitate.

Practice.
Yea, but the topic is like spread out over an entire day pretty much, day 1 - 3 were a very good length, but now i am spending about 3 hours on one bloody chapter. I have other things to do.
1) Are you really only working on one chapter per day? A quick reader can make short work of that e-book (i.e. less than a week), but come out more confused than when they started.

2) Are you trying to implement the topics covered in each chapter? Some of the best learning comes from trying to make it work, and then discovering where you made your mistakes.

3) The title is a misnomer: it should honestly be "Learn SOME C++ in 21 days", with the subtitle "but you'll continue learning for as long as you use the language, that's just how these things go"

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I meant i am actually reading the entire day chapter, in about three hours, i find it hard to test out what has been taught cause i don't know what to do with it. Like when i learn about passing variables, really i don't know what to try out with it.
It's not a very good book. I would suggest abandoning it in favor of something like "Thinking in C++," which is a free online.
Does that teach at a good pace?
As a general rule of thumb, I avoid anything that says "Learn (x) in 21 Days" or "Learn (x) in 24 Hours." I've read a few, and thumbed through a few more, and found most of them to be pretty bad.
Yea i kinda guessed it would be a bad book when my friend (Who is already very adept in C++) recommended it to me. What i loved about the book thought is that it took care of my bad habit of reading way to much, i don't know when to stop reading exactly, and usually when i started of i had left myself at a awkward place. With C++ in 21 days it finished the topic on the day so i could stop. But apart from that the book didn't seem that promising.
Quote:
Does that teach at a good pace?

It teaches. You read. You practice. You set the pace.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement