• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grill8

Questions about networking and open source networking libraries.

This topic is 3177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have some questions about networking and open source networking libraries. I am currently designing a 3D game engine and need to implement networking for it. I found Boost.Asio online and it appears to be a good open source networking library from what I heard and read about it. Question 1) Is Boost.Asio a good route to go for open source networking? People seem to swear by boost in general. Ok, so I am new to networking programming. It is my understanding that UDP is the way to go for games since (if I recall correctly it has been a long time) TCP is slower although more reliable. Question 2) Should I use UDP for my 3D game networking? Question 3) What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous networking, and which would you recommend for a 3D game engine? Question 4) Are there any tips/suggestions you would recommend for a newbie networking programmer to know during design/implementation of a 3D game engine networking solution? Thank you for your help. Jeremy

Advertisement
Boost.asio is a very decent library, although the reactor paradigm can take a bit of getting used to if you aren't familiar with it.

However, you should keep in mind that a game-oriented library such as RakNet will provide explicit support for essential services such as reliable messages, flow/congestion control, object/attribute replication, remote procedure invocation, etc.

If you choose to go with Boost.asio, you are going to have to roll all of these on your own, and believe me when I say that a robust implementation of all of these features is far from trivial [smile]

I personally like ENet, which provides many of the features you want in a UDP library, but nothing more. RakNet is great, but it's like the swiss army knife of networking - it's got everything bar the kitchen sink (coming in the next version [wink]).

My only wish was that ENet had NAT punchthrough functionality, which can be tricky to do...

Boost.Asio is good for high-performance networking (e.g. if you're doing a server) but for games, the additional functionality provided by ENet/RakNet is invaluable. That's been my experience anyway.

Thank you very much for your help.

That definately points me in the right direction.

I appreciate it.

Jeremy

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!