• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MultiPlayer Game Programming (Straight Sockets)

This topic is 6148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know a good book, and I stress book (I''m not looking for any online tutorials), that covers how to implement a multiplayer game using sockets. I want to try and stay away from DirectPlay as that won''t help me anywhere but in Windows. I was considering purchasing the book "MultiPlayer Game Programming" by Todd Barron & Andre Lamothe, which is supposed to cover sockets as well as DirectPlay, but I get the feeling there''s more focus on DirectPlay than straight sockets. Any advice and or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
As I haven''t read Muliplayer Game Programming, I can''t really say if it''s good or not and contains the information you want. But I do know that all the people that I know who have read it thinks it''s one of the best programming books, even if you want to learn sockets =)

I''m sure LostLogic ( aka author of said book ) over at the Multiplayer and Network Programming Forum will be glad to help you with more information about the book''s content, and any other network related questions.

Hope I''ve helped.

------------------
It''s me again!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!