• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MasterEvilAce

Matching words with wildcards

This topic is 3350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not entirely sure if there is a fast, simple way to do this... I'm thinking regex is probably the simplest way of doing this. What I need to do is be able to compare strings that may or may not have wildcard characters in them. For instance I may have a list of >strings< like this: 11225 1123? 48622 55* 785?? 99745 And I will be trying to match other strings to this list. I will loop through the list looking for a match. There will only be one possible match in the list, and I will be comparing one at a time until I find a match. * is a wildcard that any number of any characters can match ? is a wildcard that matches any single character in its place anyone good with regular expressions? Thanks

Advertisement
You could use a regular expression library like PCRE, however if you're only ever going to support '?' and '*', they're trivial enough to implement. If you encounter a '?', then skip the corresponding character in the match string since you don't care what it is. If you reach a '*', then you terminate immediately since it's an automatic match ('*' is greedy). There might be a few edge cases I'm not thinking of but that's the gist of it.

I can tell you this, the regular expression library certainly won't be faster since it's also juggling about a million other things, but the benefit is that you have the full power of regular expressions that you can leverage at any time.

Quick disclaimer, I assumed you were using C++, but most other languages already have standard libraries with regular expression support if you don't implement those operators yourself.

Quote:
Original post by Zipster
If you reach a '*', then you terminate immediately since it's an automatic match ('*' is greedy). There might be a few edge cases I'm not thinking of but that's the gist of it.
The problem is a patterns such as 'a*b*a', when paired with an input such as 'abbbbbbaba' - there are many correct parse trees, and many ways for a naively implemented operator to get stuck.

Greedy operators like '*' generally require some sort of recursive descent or stack-based parser to handle everything correctly.

That's correct, I guess I assumed that '*' would be used at the end of the pattern as per the example. If you want the full functionality, then a regex library would be the best solution since it's already designed to handle all those special cases.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!